10.5.2 Boot hang

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Over the past couple of days I've been messing around with Kalyway 10.5.2 on my X31. I've finally gotten it to boot but it takes 10-15 minutes.

It first hangs for over a minute on:

mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-170 ("date")[40]: starting

and then for upwards of 10 minutes on:

iokitwaitquiet() timed out while trying to write kernel symbols

Does any one have any idea how to fix this?

System specs:

1GB RAM

1.4Ghz Intel

120GB HDD

I am using sleepkernel

Also for any one who is interested, when I installed I deselected all the driver and package options except the sse2 thing (I forget it's exact name). Each time I did install extra packages and divers I got kernel panic. Sound works fine right away.

Thanks in advance for any help, and to all the other posts that helped me get this far :(

Yeah ultimately the installation works but its nearly unusable due to the boot hangs. I have had no luck with wireless, every time i try and install the iwi2100 drivers i get kernel panic. iCal crashes when you try to open it and Chess wont work at all.

With some tweaking I have managed to get it to boot a little faster but now it hangs on:

no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID

and

BSD root: disk0s1, major 14, minor 1

I'm thinking this may be due to the wireless not working because the bit that says no network interfaces.

No idea what the BSD root bit is about though.

Any one else had any luck getting an x31 to run well?

Tiger 10.4.8 and Leopard 10.5.1 work on my x31.

You just have to wait it out. I also discovered today that if it isn't on the dock it wont boot at all...frustrating. Has anyone had luck with any 10.4 versions?

Also to see exactly where you are getting the hang press any key just before the apple screen and at the prompt type -v and press enter.

I'm installing on my x31 this weekend. Any tips?

Planning on using kalyway 10.5.2 with external monitor + sse2.

Machine specs:

IBM 2672-C2G ThinkPad X31

Intel Pentium M 1400MHz

MMX, SSE, SSE2

512MB DDR

Will post results here.