INSTALL PROBLEM

micky01

6 posts in this topic

hi,

when i go to install kalyway 2.5 on my system it crashes out at different times, on the odd occasion of it booting to the install screen, i only get about 30 seconds before eveything freezes up, can't even get to the hard disk utility

any idea why this happens??

my system is a intel quadcore with 4 gig of ram, 2 x nvidea 8600gt graphics cards.

os is windows xp sp2

my previous system was a custom built dualcore and it worked fine

thanks

kalyway 10.5.2 you mean?

also, what motherboard are you using, IDE or SATA hd and dvd drive? screenshots of the errors(hit F8 at the prompt, and then -v).

try booting with "cpus=1 -x -v" and see if that works.

booting with cpus=1 -x -v, worked spot on,

now i have a problem which i can't get my head round,

everything boots as usual, i select the language, go to disk utill, then i try to erase the partition, set at 190bg using extended journal, , it fails saying there was an uderlying problem?, so i went back to windows, formatted the partition to a fat32 using partition magic 8,

went through it all again, get to erase the disk again, this time it says error with the I/O or something,

as far as i know the hard disk is a SATA 750gb and it's a dvd ram drive, not sure if that is SATA or IDE,

this is a link to my system spec, since i bought it the graphics cards have changed.

http://www.cube247.co.uk/?customise=39

thanks mate

my motherboard is an asus P5N-E SLI, when it is bootin i notice an error which may be connected, it shows

SAM MULTIMEDIA READ OR WRITE FAIL SENS_KEY =0X03, ASC =0X11 ASCQ =0X05

dis2s0: I/O error

does anyone have any idea why this is happenenig, is there something i need to chang in my bios settings??

just tried it again, this time i set the partition to raw, and active, again same problem, after i press erase it say I/O error,

then i have just tried to erase the whole drive, same result, is there a way i could install it on an external hard drive on another computer which i know will work, will the boot.ini file recognise the chain string to the external drive?

my motherboard is an asus P5N-E SLI, when it is bootin i notice an error which may be connected, it shows

dis2s0: I/O error

does anyone have any idea why this is happenenig, is there something i need to chang in my bios settings??

Hi there, this indicates a number of possible causes, see this thread....... :blink:

This is what I suggest you do.....

1. Set BIOS settings as follows:

BIOS settings in BOLD can Enabled if install to HDD is booting and running OK

HDD SMART Monitoing - Disabled

ACPI Suspend Type - S3 (STR)

ACPI APIC Support -enabled

Serial-ATA Controller -enabled

RAID Enabled -disabled

OnChip IDE Channel0 -enabled

IDE DMA transfer access -enabled

IDE Prefetch Mode -enabled

HD Audio -auto

Onboard 1394 -Disabled

USB Controller -enabled

USB Legacy Support -enabled

USB 2.0 Controller -enabled

Dual Onboard LAN -Disabled (onboard nvdia lan boot rom disabled)

Memory Timing Setting -auto

Spread Spectrum Control - Disabled maximises performance, or keep as you had

CPU Internal Thermal Control -auto (stops CPU from overheating to permanent damage)

Limit CPUID MaxVal -disabled

Enhanced C1 (C1E) -disabled

Execute Disable Bit -enabled

Virtualization Technology - disabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology -disabled

2. Re-burn your install DVDs at the slowest speed possible in your burner ≤ x4, e.g. x1 or x2 or nearest speed to these.....

3. Use a PATA (IDE) DVDRW if you are using a SATA DVDRW.....if you do not have a PATA DVDRW....do not worry, I may have an another solution being tested for me at present by another reader......