Kalyway 10.5.1: network problems on 775Dual-VSTA

inspiron2

5 posts in this topic

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA, VIA 880 chipset based, 2GB RAM, IDE hdd and DVD drive. No SATA devices. NVidia 6200 AGP. Ethernet is builtin: VIA PHY VT6103.

I applied the theStevo patch to Kalyway 10.5.1 before install. All individual files and the resulting ISO passed the MD5 checks.

During install customization, I selected theStevo's 775Dual-VSTA package, video driver, GUID EFI, and nothing else. I did NOT choose Vanilla kernel (choosing Vanilla will put system into endless reboot cycles!).

The nework is not working. Error message: cable is unplugged. theStevo patch supposedly installed the network driver (and I did see VIARhine kext in the /System/Library/Extensions folder). I tried setting up the network manually (i.e. without DHCP), and tried a few other tricks too--like choosing off in the advanced settings, etc. But no go.

I then downloaded another driver (http://www.pinxue.net/mac/viarhine-rel.tar.gz) listed on the 775Dual-VSTA page (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/775Dual-VSTA), and it didn't help either.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP WITH GETTING NETWORK GOING ON 775Dual-VSTA running 10.5.1 (No Vanilla kernel)?

By the way, despite reports that this board is well supported under Mac OS X, installing 10.5.1 was a hell. May be the "compatibility" reports are from older version of Mac OS. After install, system would either get into an endless reboot cycle, or sometimes it would just hang with a message about some com.apple.plist file not found. -v option didn't help during reboot cycles because it all happened so fast that you couldn't read.

I tried Kalyway 10.5.1 with and without theStevo patch. Nothing helped. I also tried a SATA DVD, but that didn't help either.

Finally, came accross a suggestion to NOT select Vanilla Kernel during install, and also zero out the hard drive. Did that, and I was able to install and boot into Mac OS X just fine. (Finally!)

thanks much

still no ideas... please help!

Are you trying to get your network going? I've been searching online for the past 3 days! And finally found a solution, I just posted how I did it about an hour ago. Not sure if that will help with yours though, This is for a Realtek RTL8187B Wireless.