Some doubts about what might happen to the PC after installing os x

dragao-azul

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum, I hope I'm putting it in the right place..

Well, I already have a macbook, so I'm used to Mac OS X, but I'd like to install it on my PC, just to try it.

So I'd like to know some things first (I have the iDeneb 10.5.4):

The dvd boots and loads the installer, so I think this won't be a problem.

Can I use software update to update OS X? (to 10.5.5 for example, or to update applications?) If not, how do I do that?

Do I have to do anything to have dual boot with windows? What?

Does the installer really work well? (I mean, if I choose the right partition and format it nothing will happen to the windows partition, right? (just like it's supposed to?))

Last but not least: Does this release also have problems with shutdown, restart and sleep? If the answer is yes, do I solve them with this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404 ?

Thz

:)

Well first off, the type of install disk you use varies. Just because the disk boots does not mean the system will install and run properly. All systems are built different and require different kext and drivers to run properly. That being said, I suggest giving it a try and if it fails, try another install disk made like Kalyway or Jas etc.

Also, get to know what your system has. For example, know your CPU, motherboard, WLAN (if you have one), ethernet card, audio card, video card, etc. The more you know, the more easier it would be for you to solve a problem if one arises. A quick search in the forum usually will pop up some results to help you in the right direction. And in the case an answer can not be found, then and only then, ask a question. These boards are cluttered with the same questions everyday, will x and y system work?

For dual booting, I suggest using the Darwin boot loader. It does a wonderful job. Just make your OSX partition the default boot loader and you should be fine. There are hundreds of posts on how to go about this, a quick search should help.

Start, Sleep, and Shutdown problems also varies. Again, it just depends on the system you have. My system starts and shuts down just fine. Sleep on the other hand does not work. Since I do not use that function, I really do not mind. While others can't live without their system being able to go to sleep. That post you linked to could solve it, it might not. The only way to find out is to try it.

BUT first and foremost, BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA!! I can not emphasis how many times people have complained about loosing all their data because the install failed. osx86 is an ongoing project and it is far from perfect. Expect failures and don't expect everything to work perfectly out of the box. It takes time and effort to get a system to work like a true Apple box.

All that being said, good luck and welcome to osx86.. :-)

I forgot to give you my system specs, sorry.

I believe from what I read in the wiki that the most important components are compatible:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

ASUS Maximus Formula (Intel® X38/ICH9R)

ATI HD2900Pro

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (I think this one won't work, I'll just use the onboard sound card)

The wiki isn't updated, but in 10.5.2 the onboard sound card doesn't work.. I think i'll try and install it, just help me with one thing that I believe will be harder to find: If the installation doesn't work and ruins the boot, can I repair it with the windows Vista dvd?

(I know this questions must appear a hundred times per month, but I'm portuguese and it's harder for me to find information here, in top of that I'm not yet used to this forum.. :S)

Thz

;)