The five best desktop Linuxes you haven't tried

Kane Adams

33 posts in this topic

i wish there is a one or two linux distributions i think its better to focus in one direction than in multiple directions

anyway i don't think there are a major difference between famous distributions at the end they are all linux

and about ubuntu i think ubuntu gives a chance for linux to be popular and well known

however i wish i could try the following dist. 1- blacktrack 3 2- redhat 3-fedora

i'm opensuse and ubuntu user :wacko:

See there you go again.

packages all the Distos get the packages from the same pool. they may make their own packages manager etc but they all use the same packages.

Nothing new there. bugs are in the packages. so you can't say one distro has more then the other.

Now if you say BSD is better then Linux your saying some thing that has a difference.

I know what you are saying, and it SHOULD be true, ie, everything in the open source community should be created equal.

But it's not, and I have found it is far from what you said.

On my Powerbook, for example, I have tried the following distros:

• Ubuntu
  • Kubuntu
  • Debian
  • OpenSuse
  • Fedora

and they all behave completely differently!!

Ubuntu is easy to use, but slow and buggy. Kubuntu is less easy, slower and more buggy. Debian is very fast and stable, but near impossible to use. Opensuse has brilliant features, but is slow and buggy. Fedora is probably one of the best distros on the surface, but the PPC port is pathetically slow.

And this is why 'Linux' will never take over the world....

At least with Mac and Windows, (Mac moreso) you have one entitiy that performs in the same way with the same features on any computer because there is just one choice.

• 1 month later...
If you want just one reason, here it is: everything needs to grow at its own pace. Every explosion of growth is bad, be it the human body or the economy or everything else.

Ubuntu has attracted all sort of "wrong" people because of its very aggressive advertising campaign. People who don't have a clue about computers want to try it now.

Once they try it and find out that it doesn't work for them, they don't want to hear about Linux for the rest of their life.

It is very much like the n00bs we attract here. Once things go wrong, they blame everybody and everything but themselves.

There are of course many other reasons, but that will do for now.

i use ubuntu but i completely agree with you on this one if you look at the adobe site theres plan on making photoshop for ubuntu soon when the market share hits 5%

i wish there is a one or two linux distributions i think its better to focus in one direction than in multiple directions

anyway i don't think there are a major difference between famous distributions at the end they are all linux

and about ubuntu i think ubuntu gives a chance for linux to be popular and well known

however i wish i could try the following dist. 1- blacktrack 3 2- redhat 3-fedora

i'm opensuse and ubuntu user :D

focussing on multiple directions is the way of linux its free afterall well mostly

Why?

i agree with you ther the questions is why is it almost impossible to use im going to use debian as a server distro

oh god i said that dang it must be so hard seemings as i like the debian flavour choice ppl choice