10.5.5 breaks 88E8056 on P5K-VM - -FIXED!

inspiron2

3 posts in this topic

My board is P5K-VM, a mix of SATA and IDE drives. Chipset G33, LAN: Marvell 88E8056 builtin.

I started in Kalyway 10.5.1. It was fine.

Upgrade to 10.5.3 using Kalyway combo update was success. All working. No gfx issues either.

Upgrade to 10.5.4 using infinite while loop method was success. All working. Networking is fine.

Upgrade to 10.5.5 went OK. computer appears to have no issues, except that networking has stopped working. "Cable disconnected" message in System Preferences Network tab.

I have tried all various method described in different posts: starting from editing Info.Plist file, to deleting all Yukon kexts, to installing various files floating around, to various hacks in network prefs (turning card on and off, forcing manual, etc). No go.

I would suggest that if you have a set up like mine, stay away from 10.5.5 for now.

Here is how I fixed it:

Download the file from this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=852292

Before you go ahead to install it, find and rename all kexts matching AppleYukon name in your /System/Library/Extensions folder (and sub-folders). I had one in /System/Library/Extensions (and it was named AppleYukon2, and another one was burried somewhere under IONetworkingFamily.kext.

I used the kext helper to install.

Rebooted, and all was fine!

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Cool, thanks. But one quick question?

Where you say:

Before you go ahead to install it, find and rename all kexts matching AppleYukon name in your /System/Library/Extensions folder (and sub-folders). I had one in /System/Library/Extensions (and it was named AppleYukon2, and another one was burried somewhere under IONetworkingFamily.kext.

What did you rename to? Ie, are you renaming just to backup up or does the renaming have to be something specific to relate to the new install.

Cheers, dv

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. I've tried all the editing in the plist but nothing works on 10.5.5(Edit plist works fine in 10.5.4)

So I find this topic, found a new way. But the zshare link, dunno why I cannot download from it. After the countdown it returns me to the first download page. So can you please upload it to smwhere else such as rapidshare plz...

http://www.zshare.net/download/16848517cba...l%2088e8056.zip