Kext woes

Cadillac

7 posts in this topic

All right, everybody, here's the skinny:

So I'm all jazzed to have Kalyway installed. I've selected all the kexts I think I'll need in the optimization screen, I've installed, repaired permissions, and all that happy stuff. So, now I try to boot. I get the gray Apple logo for a bit, and then... black screen. "{censored}," think I. "Must be a kext problem." I boot in -x, and sure enough, it's purring like a kitten.

So, now my problem is figuring out which kexts are essential to system operation so that I can remove the rest, and boot normally. From there, I can install my sound card kext and get everything running smoothly.

So, here are my system specs:

HP dv9700 laptop

Intel Centrino dual-core 2.4 gHz processor

ALC 268 sound card

512MB Nvidia GeForce 8600M

3 GB RAM

Built-in HP wireless card

Thanks in advance! I just want to know which kexts I should put the "NO TOUCHY" sign on. That way, I can keep the right kexts and boot normally.

Cadillac

All right, I tried booting in verbose mode, and this is what happened:

I've launched in -v before on a different install, but this time was different. It went through the expected stuff- and a little bit past it checking my FireWire security settings (defaulting to full-secure) there was a quick sequence of lines, going really fast. The lines were short, but other than that I can't tell you much. My sound driver kicked in (heralded by hissing white noise from the speakers) shortly before the gray screen. I think one of the lines said "machine is a laptop!" or something like that.

Anyone else with this problem?

actually i have somewhat the same issue now. I am running kalway 10.5.2 it was fine until i did something that i dont know of to make os10 unhappy. Now i get the same black screen after reboot but if i leave it for about 5 minutes it eventually boots up. Have you tried leaving it running to see if it eventually comes up? Its very annoying but i will live with it until i have time to format and reinstall.