Battle of the Linux Distros

Kane Adams

3 posts in this topic

linux_distro_splash2.jpg

In theory, any computer running Linux can be custom-built and tweaked down to the very last bit. In reality, a first-time Linux user wants to grab an install CD, get a working desktop, and do their own thing from there. Lots of Linux distributions make claims about being easy to use, fast, or stable, but what does that mean for a non-programmer trying out a Linux system for the first time? Today we're taking a look at the real differences between three popular distributions of open-source software, and offering our readers their chance to weigh in on why they like their own particular open-source OS.

Read more over here.

http://lifehacker.com/5054510/battle-of-the-linux-distros

Today we're taking a look at the real differences between three popular distributions of open-source software, and offering our readers their chance to weigh in on why they like their own particular open-source OS.

My first linux was Ubuntu 6.10. I was the definition of noob. I only installed it to run linux on my dreamcast.

Although I love Ubuntu, it has it notable flaws. For example, on recent releases, I can never get SAMBA working right. And most of my programs I use for school and work are Windows only.

Since then, I have tried numberous other releases (Fedora, OpenSuse, OpenSolaris just to name a few) and have not found anything I like comparible to Ubuntu. It is mainly just being use to something that Ubuntu provides and other distros do not readily provide, or not liking KDE and the Gnome counterpart is obviously the red head step child (yes, you OpenSuse).

But then again, I just got an iPod Touch, and I have found about 6 things so far that my wife's 1G 30 GB Zune can do (iPod won't or can't do it) or that the Zune could just flat out do better (yes, iTunes, you are sooooooo freaking slow on Windows Vista)... (and I thought the Zune desktop software sucked... pffff).

Most of it is just a matter of opinion and built in preferences after years of use. For example, I listen to the Adam Carolla Show. And they break their podcasts up when commericals air. For some reason, Apple didn't think of this (but Microsoft did). So now to play the episodes consectively, and more importantly in order, I have to an On the Go playlist and put them in order. The biggest waste of 15 seconds in my opinion...