Airport Extreme emulation opportunities

r@yrule

2 posts in this topic

When we talk about emulation, it's possible to emulate for example a SSE3. So isn't it possible to

emulate a driver such as the Airport extreme? So it can be detect by it's own utility and link another wireless

card to it?

What i think it must be simple, but must know how the airport extreme driver is working.

Normal perspective would be:

Airport extreme -> WiFi accesspoint

If it's possible to emulate this it should be:

WiFidevice (such as Intel 3945) -> Emulation airport extreme -> WiFi accesspoint

I know it will cost you cpu power, when u use WEP, WPA+, because every packet which is send and/or recieved, have

to use a handshake with the host.

I really want to create something like that so it can be used with many wireless cards that aren't supporting

OS x 10.X.x

What i want to know is:

* Who wants to help me with this

* how the wifi airport extreme works

* how the other wifi drivers working in os x

* who can support me with emulation

* if this is an impossible way to accomplish something

But if this succeed than we can use the most basic things of our wifi cards such as: A/B/G, SSID, WEP/WPA+, and channel, in an easy way.

Guest BuildSmart
When we talk about emulation, it's possible to emulate for example a SSE3. So isn't it possible to

emulate a driver such as the Airport extreme? So it can be detect by it's own utility and link another wireless

card to it?

What i think it must be simple, but must know how the airport extreme driver is working.

Normal perspective would be:

Airport extreme -> WiFi accesspoint

If it's possible to emulate this it should be:

WiFidevice (such as Intel 3945) -> Emulation airport extreme -> WiFi accesspoint

I know it will cost you cpu power, when u use WEP, WPA+, because every packet which is send and/or recieved, have

to use a handshake with the host.

I really want to create something like that so it can be used with many wireless cards that aren't supporting

OS x 10.X.x

What i want to know is:

* Who wants to help me with this

* how the wifi airport extreme works

* how the other wifi drivers working in os x

* who can support me with emulation

* if this is an impossible way to accomplish something

But if this succeed than we can use the most basic things of our wifi cards such as: A/B/G, SSID, WEP/WPA+, and channel, in an easy way.

Nice idea but not possible in the way you want to implement it because 1, you do not have a stable driver source you can use to map this device as an AirPort device and 2, without the source for the AirPort framework and an AirPort driver you will never be able to tie in the framework to your third party driver because you do not have an API to do it.

The AirPort driver has two sections, those dedicated to apple devices and those dedicated to generic third party devices.

If your wireless device driver does not use the functionality of the AirPort framework then there is no way possible to obtain real AirPort functionality.

This is why rebranding works on a lot of wireless devices and why no third party driver will every obtain AirPort functionality.