changing from raid to ahci on existing xp install

pedders

2 posts in this topic

i have an intel dp35dp motherboard which has one SATA hard drive connected with windows xp installed. i set the hard drive to SATA RAID mode in the BIOS in case i wanted to install a second hard drive later, because it is apparently difficult to change from AHCI to RAID with an existing install.

however i now want to install OSX Leopard on a second hard disk. however i've read on here that OSX needs to run in AHCI mode. my question is what will happen with my XP hard disk if i change the BIOS settings to AHCI mode? the RAID setup has only ever had one hard disk so i wouldn't be breaking any links between disks, but i've also read that it may not boot any more.

i don't mind doing a fresh install on the XP hard disk to change the BIOS settings, but it would be nice to know before i start messing with things. thanks in advance for any advice!

i have an intel dp35dp motherboard which has one SATA hard drive connected with windows xp installed. i set the hard drive to SATA RAID mode in the BIOS in case i wanted to install a second hard drive later, because it is apparently difficult to change from AHCI to RAID with an existing install.

however i now want to install OSX Leopard on a second hard disk. however i've read on here that OSX needs to run in AHCI mode. my question is what will happen with my XP hard disk if i change the BIOS settings to AHCI mode? the RAID setup has only ever had one hard disk so i wouldn't be breaking any links between disks, but i've also read that it may not boot any more.

i don't mind doing a fresh install on the XP hard disk to change the BIOS settings, but it would be nice to know before i start messing with things. thanks in advance for any advice!

Well actually you can install OS X in raid mode, its just a little harder.

And an AHCI driver for XP exists, its not official, and I've never tried it.

I believe most of the newer distros (iDeneb) support ICH?R modes.

This is how we did it before the distros supported it.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry511085