iATKOS v4i Installed but I have one problem.

iiprotocolii

6 posts in this topic

Ok, guys, so I installed iATKOS v4i on my PC. Everything was running fine and dandy in the beginning and then, after staying on for a while, OS X would freeze completely. Ok, I thought I fixed that with the "cpus=1" option until it began to freeze again. Now, it acts totally fine in Safe Mode (-x boot option) but once I'm back off the safe mode, it freezes. What could be the problem? Could it be I'm running to many applications simultaneously? Or the applications that I'm running? Here are my specs:

nForce 680i Motherboard

Intel Core Duo 2 2.66 Ghz

4GB of RAM

GeForce 8800 GTS (640MB)

Wired Ethernet Connection

iATKOS v4i Leopard Install

Extenstions/kexts used:

-NVKush

-forcedeth.kext (for Ethernet controller)

Apps installed after installataion:

-TextMate

-Xcode (iPhone SDK)

-Adium

-Firefox

-CyberDuck

-Transmission

-Colloguy

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :( Thanks in advance.

Ok, guys, so I installed iATKOS v4i on my PC. Everything was running fine and dandy in the beginning and then, after staying on for a while, OS X would freeze completely. Ok, I thought I fixed that with the "cpus=1" option until it began to freeze again. Now, it acts totally fine in Safe Mode (-x boot option) but once I'm back off the safe mode, it freezes. What could be the problem? Could it be I'm running to many applications simultaneously? Or the applications that I'm running? Here are my specs:

nForce 680i Motherboard

Intel Core Duo 2 2.66 Ghz

4GB of RAM

GeForce 8800 GTS (640MB)

Wired Ethernet Connection

iATKOS v4i Leopard Install

Extenstions/kexts used:

-NVKush

-forcedeth.kext (for Ethernet controller)

Apps installed after installataion:

-TextMate

-Xcode (iPhone SDK)

-Adium

-Firefox

-CyberDuck

-Transmission

-Colloguy

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :( Thanks in advance.

Your problem is twofold

(1) the forcedeth.kext......onboard LAN on nForce chipset MOBOs is not working properly at present.......

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ for the R1000, which is an opensource driver for network controllers RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 and some others modified for Mac OSX. It is based on Realtek's driver for Linux but is not supported by Realtek.

Also see http://www.psystar.com/realtek_r1000_driver.html

Psystar have released a modded driver based on R1000 claimed by them to enhance

the interrupt handling and link detection for these NICS: RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101.

If this is the case, get hold of a Realtek chipset based PCI Netwok Card i.e. RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 chipset card....check card specs before buying....depending on the card used it may just work out of the box with the already installed drivers in OS X... ;)

As regards installing a network driver kext (if required post-OS X install), you can use, for example, Kext Helper b7......or OSx86Tools...... :D

(2) the 4GB RAM......if you install 4GB or more of RAM in Dual Channel mode, then you may get a kernel panic when the RAM usage exceeds 3GB (I have experienced this issue with 4, 5 and 6GB RAM installed)........the solutions are

A. Physically remove 2GB of RAM, or

B. Modifiy the com.apple.Boot.plist file as follows:

1. Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

3. Type in (without any spaces anywhere)

maxmem=3072

between <string> and </string> under <key>Kernel Flags</key>.

4. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press ^O and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

5. Press ^X to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

Then reboot with -v and Repair Permissions........ :)

Thanks for the reply, verdant. Very much appreciated. Now, as per the onboard LAN, are you suggesting that I buy a new one? I don't really feel like buying one being that my mobo comes with 2 onboard Gigabit LANs. Or will those Realtek drivers work with my mobo.

Afraid they will not......the onboard LAN chipsets are from Marvell......you could wait until someone develops a working driver for them......or buy a PCI NIC that has one of the R1000 supported chipsets......I would go for a RTL8169 chipset NIC...... ;)

Thanks, Verdant. :) I will get the RTL8169 NIC today, then. Also, is it possible to boot without the "cpus=1" flag? It would be great to be able to use leopard with both cores. Thanks.

With OS X and RTL8169 NIC installed you should not need to boot with cpus=1...... :wacko: