Macbook pro lid release button

BENiii

9 posts in this topic

I bought my MBP about 7 months ago, about 3 months ago the lid release button started to become darker and darker (grey and not shiny)

but i didnt bother, i thought it was alitle dirty thats all.. now its really bad, nost of the thing is grey and it looks as if the coat is peeling off slowly, is it normal/common? can I get it replaced by warranty? (I also have the AppleCare Protection Plan)

the rest of the laptop is in very good condition, so it is very annoying to se that ugly button at the front..

Thanks,

BENiii

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem, Anyone found a solution or replacement? thanks

i think i will take my MBP to the apple store and ask them personally...

i will post their answer after i do that... I hope they can fix it fast if they do... i really ned it for schol.

I really didnt have time to check with the apple store this weekend and now im at the university so when i get time to go to the apple store ill update with what they tell me.... im not even sure if there is an apple store here, i might need to wait till next time i go home...

i read somewhere that if u want to replace the button you have to take off the whole bottom part.. i think they said it comes together.. so i wouldnt do it my self anyways just because it would void my warranty, but you may be able to get only the button or the whole bottom case somewhere...

i found this but i dont think its worth the money just to get a new button...

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBoo...-Case/IF185-036

Your right the button normally comes as part of the bottom case. And I wouldn't attempt to take a mac book apart if it was working fine.

I wouldn't bother asking apple store about it, they will probably class it as a characteristic. All mac books of this style do it, even my old 12" G4 peeled within a few months. And the 15" MacBook Pro I had recently lasted about 4 months till it was unsightly.

Eventually it will just all disappear and look dull.

Your right the button normally comes as part of the bottom case. And I wouldn't attempt to take a mac book apart if it was working fine.

I wouldn't bother asking apple store about it, they will probably class it as a characteristic. All mac books of this style do it, even my old 12" G4 peeled within a few months. And the 15" MacBook Pro I had recently lasted about 4 months till it was unsightly.

Eventually it will just all disappear and look dull.

thanks,

I guess thats why the new macbooks and macbook pro's have no button there... lol