Kalyway 10.5.1 Boot Issues

2 posts in this topic

So I've spent a good 5 or 6 hours searching for leads on this issue, but haven't been able to find something solid. It seems other people have had something sort of similar to this, but not exact. And if i posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize, please don't tear me a new one, and I'm sorry it's so long, but I need to get all the details out there to help not only myself but other people on here having problems as well. Here's my scenario/background information:

I have had a 99% working installation, the only thing weird was my DVD drive behaved strange when waking the system up:

- Kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.5

- Vanilla Kernel, Darwin 9.5

- Badaxe 2 mobo

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz)

- BFG GeForce 8800GT OC 512MB Video Card (working dual monitors, QE, etc.)

- IMPORTANT KEY: 2 320GB HDDs (One with XP/Vista, the other with one partition booting Mac and one partition in NTFS for media to use with Windows - NOT used in Mac)

- 3GB OCZ Platinum memory

My issue regards Kalyway not booting from the hard drive. About a day after I installed 10.5.5 (it worked well at first), I noticed I could no longer play audio files, and streaming video from the web no longer worked. I boot Windows from one hard drive, and Mac from another. My method is going into my bios and simply choosing the hard drive to boot from, which worked PERFECT. I somehow fried my install and I went to Time Machine to do a restoration on it (to go back to 10.5.4), which is where my problem began. After I restored with Time Machine my installation would no longer boot from the HD, it would only boot when I had the Kalyway DVD in the drive.

After 4 or 5 installations and trying different methods with GUID and MBR, I still can't seem to get this to work again. The Kalyway install no longer boots even when the DVD is in the drive. The worst part is that I've had my method working great, but I can't remember how I set it up. My latest attempt used the Vanilla Kernel, with the EFI_MBR option with a HD formatted with MBR. I have confirmed the partition I've installed Leopard on IS the active partition, and Disk Utility says that it is bootable. Last night, after I finished installing Mac, it seemed to be working. I took the DVD out, and it booted into Mac from the HD with no problems. I shut the computer down and went to bed (sleeping the system is still an issue), and when I woke up and tried to boot into Mac from the HD it would not work. I don't know why all of a sudden it doesn't work when it did last night. I used the barebones install...Vanilla and MBR loader. I don't want to have to load a seperate boot loader because I have no need for it, there is only one installation attempting a boot on my Mac drive.

Does ANYBODY have a solution to this problem? I can't, for the life of me, remember how I got this to work previously, but it's frustrating as h*ll knowing I had an AWESOME 10.5.4 install and I can't get back to it. Any advice would be great, and users on here have saved me before so I'm hoping I get some solid help.

Last night, after I finished installing Mac, it seemed to be working. I took the DVD out, and it booted into Mac from the HD with no problems. I shut the computer down and went to bed (sleeping the system is still an issue), and when I woke up and tried to boot into Mac from the HD it would not work. I don't know why all of a sudden it doesn't work when it did last night. I used the barebones install...Vanilla and MBR loader. I don't want to have to load a seperate boot loader because I have no need for it, there is only one installation attempting a boot on my Mac drive.

Does ANYBODY have a solution to this problem? I can't, for the life of me, remember how I got this to work previously, but it's frustrating as h*ll knowing I had an AWESOME 10.5.4 install and I can't get back to it. Any advice would be great, and users on here have saved me before so I'm hoping I get some solid help.

The post is a bit messy, and you don't say what happens, only that it won't boot. I presume you are using the Vista boot manager. What error are you getting? If you changed the priority of the HDs in the setup process through the BIOS, did you change them back? Since it did install and enter properly, have you tried reinstalling the Vista boot manager with EasyBCD (I am preusming that is what you used)? Saying it doesn't work is of no help unless you say what is happening, and what error messages, if any, you see or get.