Will I boot from install DVD forever?

dave228

4 posts in this topic

First post, long time lurker, but I have a problem I cannot solve and I have tried everything I know of. Okay, here goes...

I have been successfully running Kalyway 10.5.1 for about 4 months. No problems to speak of, except that I cannot wake my system from sleep so I have disabled that. I built my system with the hopes of running OSX86 and have been quite pleased, until now. My mainboard is a GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L.

Well, this past weekend I decided to bite the bullet and update to 10.5.5. I carefully followed the instructions linked on the home page here, but screwed it up on the first try and ended up restoring my system from a Time Machine backup I had made that morning. From that point on, I could not boot from the hard drive. I read on this forum that TM will mess with Kalyway boot instructions, and I tried several different ways to reinstall this without starting all over again but to no avail. I would rather boot from the intall disk than have to reinstall all my apps again.

Is there a simple way for a novice to fix whatever Time Machine breaks during a restore. I can handle following some simple text editing instructions (like what is needed to update to 10.5.5). Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thats normal when you restore your system from a Backup (Time Machine, Super Duper!,..). All you need to do is to restore your boot loader.

Boot up your System using the DVD, then download and install the Chameleon Bootloader.

Direct links to the Chamelon Website arn't allowed. Click this link and google will point you to the right place :(

Thats normal when you restore your system from a Backup (Time Machine, Super Duper!,..). All you need to do is to restore your boot loader.

Boot up your System using the DVD, then download and install the Chameleon Bootloader.

Direct links to the Chamelon Website arn't allowed. Click this link and google will point you to the right place :)

I'll try this evening and report my results. I have heard of Chamelon but not tried it yet. Thanks-

Direct links to the Chamelon Website arn't allowed. Click this link and google will point you to the right place :D

Chameleon worked like a charm - PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Thanks a million! :D:rolleyes::D