10.5.2 Kalyway not liking hard drive

CalcProgrammer1

5 posts in this topic

I have an HP Pavilion dv9700t laptop. I had a 250GB Hitachi SATA drive in it with the following partitions:

175GB - NTFS - Vista

40GB - HFS+ - 10.4.8 JaS

20GB - Extended - Linux (contains ext3 and linux-swap)

However, that drive had bad sectors so I got a replacement drive, this time a Toshiba SATA. I used GParted to copy my Vista and Linux partitions over, leaving the old Mac partition to die, as 10.4 didn't work right and I was going to try 10.5.2 once I got the new drive.

Now my partitions look like this:

175GB - NTFS - Vista

20GB - Extended - Linux (contains ext3 and linux-swap)

40GB - not partitioned (was going to use for 10.5)

When I boot 10.5.2 Kalyway DVD, I get my Vista partition listed as the only install location, but it is flagged as "can't be written to" or something like that. Obviously I don't want to install there. Then I tried making the 40GB into an NTFS partition using gparted, but it doesn't see that either. I tried Disk Utility in the install disc but it could not erase the NTFS and make it into HFS, kept saying it worked but when I clicked on the partition again, it was still NTFS. Then I went back to GParted, and for some reason it said the 40GB was now HFS, though back in the OSX DVD it still said NTFS.

I want to move the Linux partition to the end of my drive again and put Mac in between Vista and Linux (that method worked) but GParted can't move extended partitions.

What do you mean by "entries"

I'm not trying to set up a bootloader, I use GRUB for that, I'm trying to get OSX to install on my hard drive. It won't make any HFS or HFS+ partitions and can't install on FAT32 right. Trying to install on FAT32 comes up with the error "The installer could not install some files in /Volume/Untitled" while trying to use Disk Utility to format the FAT32 partition to HFS+ makes it so it will not mount the partition tells me to use First Aid, which returns the error "** /dev/diskOs3 Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: 000000 Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed". GParted then sees this partition as "Unknown"

What do you mean by "entries"

I'm not trying to set up a bootloader, I use GRUB for that, I'm trying to get OSX to install on my hard drive. It won't make any HFS or HFS+ partitions and can't install on FAT32 right. Trying to install on FAT32 comes up with the error "The installer could not install some files in /Volume/Untitled" while trying to use Disk Utility to format the FAT32 partition to HFS+ makes it so it will not mount the partition tells me to use First Aid, which returns the error "** /dev/diskOs3 Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: 000000 Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed". GParted then sees this partition as "Unknown

Back to my 10.4.8 DVD, it won't even work on that! WTF! My old hard drive worked fine under OSX, why is my new one messing up!?!?! Is there any way to make an HFS+ partition OUTSIDE OF THE MAC OSX INSTALL DVD? None of the install DVD's want to partition right, so I need something for Linux or Windows that can make HFS.