Can I upgrade 733

Dc3p0

2 posts in this topic

Can i install any g4 processor into the quicksilver (2001) for e.g. dual processor, single core 1.25 ghz etc etc??

As i dont know what my restrictions are in regard to this machine ie pin count, {censored} apple lock out firmwares etc etc

thanks

Yes, and no.

If this was your intention you bought the wrong computer, you bought the "top" of the "digital audio" line, there was no advantage to buying a 733 Quicksilver over a 466 Digital Audio, other than the case. There are real life limits to the benefit of processor upgrading. eg: SDRAM on the 100mhz buss limits the processor value to between 800mhz and 1ghz (you can stick in faster, and yes, it will count higher, but there is no real speed benefit), SDRAM on the 133mhz buss tops out around 1.2ghz, the Quicksilver 867mhz, and faster, uses DDR ram, and gets a greater benefit because of the increased ram speed, topping out at a real speed between 1.6ghz and 1.8ghz. Dual processors are considered a combined amount.

The "wild card" is the amount of L3 cache, the greater the L3 cache the faster the computer can work as in a lot of situations the processor works between itself and the cache with only the overflow written to ram, so ram speed, or lack of it, becomes a less limiting factor.

This is why certain aftermarket processors are preferable to the standard Apple processor.

Probably your best bet in a single processor is the 7455-7455a/b 1.2ghz-1.47ghz with the 2m L3 cache. These processors are in short supply and now is the time to buy if you are going to buy.

This is the kind of thing you are looking for:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...ing/MEG42M1200/

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...ing/MEG42M1500/

I run the last one in a 533 Digital Audio here, I should have bought the first one, but I got the faster one on sale.