EEC PC 1000H iATKOS v4i

fletch33

2 posts in this topic

i do not yet have my 1000h but it will be here in 2 days. however after reading around on here i did not see much info here on getting the best install of osx86 to run on this machine and thought i would go ahead and post what my setup is going to be.

i currently am running this on my Aspire One and everything is working except sleep and audio in. i did have to change my wifi card on the aspire to a dell 1390 out of my wifes dell to get Leopard to work on wifi but i believe the standard wifi card in the 1000h will work out of the box with this install choice.

thanks to SbM for putting together most of this info :)

1. install norton partition magic on XP and set up a partition as FAT32 and name it whatever you want i choose "OSX" and then decide how much room you would like to make it

2. find and download iATKOS v4i version of OSX86 and burn it to a disc or choose another route of installation. i prefer to burn it and use an external cd drive to install

3. choose to boot from cd and when the installer loads, click on the button like it tells you to.

4. when you get to the "Welcome" screen, DON'T hit "Continue" straight away. Move your mouse pointer to the "Utilities" menu, and select "Disk Utility".

5. when the disk utility opens choose the OSX (or whatever you named it) and use disk utility to reformat it from FAT32 to Extended Journaled and quit disk utility when it is finished.

6. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click "Continue". Click "Agree" when the legalese blurb pops up.

7. choose your Extended Journaled partition you just reformatted

8. IMPORTANT - Click "Customize"

9. Customize the installation as follows:

* iATKOS v4i Main system CHECKED

* Darwin Bootloader CHECKED

Everything else UNCHECKED except:

* Drivers/System/Intel Speedstep CHECKED

10. Click "Done" and then "Install", and wait for the installation to complete. The display might freeze during the install process, but everything's fine: just touch the touchpad when the progress bar freezes..

11. Reboot

FURTHER TWEAKING

First of all, download Paul's package, available here

It contains a bunch of useful .kext's (extensions to the Mac OS X kernel) and a great little utility called "Kext Helper", that'll help you install said .kext's in the appropriate manner (fixing permissions and stuff for you, so that everything works as intended and you don't get stupid blue screens when you restart ).

BY ALL MEANS USE PAUL'S UTILITY WHEN INSTALLING .KEXT'S, IT'LL SAVE YOU A LOT OF HASSLES.

VIDEO

Using Paul's "Kext Utility", install all of Paul's .kexts EXCEPT ACPIBattery.kext AND RealtekR1000.kext.

Reboot, and now you get 1024x600 resolution AND a fully functional battery-status icon in the menu bar AND (last but not least) a Speedstep menu that shows the automatic throttling of the processor frequency from 800 to 1066 to 1333 to 1600 MHz (if the menu doesn't show up, just keep on installing. It came back on my machine after installing the audio driver).

You might need to install those twice in a row to make Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics acceleration work. It happened to me. Check in System Profiler>Graphics if they're enabled. Besides, if they are enabled, your menu bar should be transparent (solid if they're not).

NETWORK

Install the Realtek driver for the ethernet interface, so that the machine detects pluggin/unplugging of the cable while running (not only at boot-time, like Paul's .kext): here

AUDIO & SHUTDOWN (adapted from the InsanelyMac forum)

Download ALC268FIX from here http://rapidshare.com/files/126062908/ALC268FIX.zip

1. Run ALC268Installer 1 but DON'T RESTART YET.

2. BEFORE restarting delete /System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.kext

3. Use Paul's Kext Helper b7 to install HDAEnabler.kext

4. Fix Permissions with Disk Utility (launch Disk Utility, select your partition and then click on "Repair Disk Permissions" in the "First Aid" tab).

5. Restart and make sure that Internal Speakers is selected in System Preferences>Audio>Output

6. Then run HDA Fix v3. It's all in Italian, but basically always click "OK" or "Continua" until you get to "Riavvia in seguito" (Restart later).

7. Click Restart Later (Riavvia in seguito).

8. Repair permissions once more with Disk Utility

9. Restart

10. Now sound and shutdown should work

USEFUL UTILITY:

*Since sound output doesn't automatically switch to headphones when you plug 'em in, this "Sound Source" utility comes in handy: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

It installs a "menu extra" item in the menu bar that lets you select which output to use.

i will be posting my results of this install in a few days but thought others might want to give it a shot before me.

as i mentioned this has worked perfectly on my aspire one and i am going to assume it will be the same on the 1000h.

hope this helps.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...