My GA-EP35-DS3L freeze issue resolved (don't use IDE)

silvergt

1 post in this topic

I've found this forum to be a great resource, I followed a few tutorials here to create my hackintosh:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

ZOTAC ZT-73TEG2P-HSL GeForce 7300GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Antec EA650 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G

Everything worked out of the box with a few tips I found on this forum. The reason for my post is to clear up an issue I had with freezing or kernel panics. I would get the "you need to restart" screen frequently. When I built my machine I connected an IDE DVD burner because I was also going to use this computer as a dual boot XP machine and figured I could use the extra drive. After exhausting all online resources along with considering a possible 3.5GB Memory barrier. I remembered I had the IDE DVD drive still pugged in to the motherboard. I knew it wouldn't work with Leopard but didn't think it would hurt anything. I've had zero freezes or shutdowns since disconnecting it. I'm embarrassed to say it took a few weeks to realize what I had done wrong but I do hope this post helps somebody with a similar configuration. Sorry if this is common knowledge and a repeat post. Thanks again to the community for all the help.