Asus P5KPL-CM

frank754

4 posts in this topic

I'm new to to forums here and have spent all day researching this. I'm a big Linux/UNIX fan and this is the first time I will be trying Apple, although (for history's sake, I did program a few ancient Apple III's using Pascal in 1983 for a non-profit group.)

I hope someone can come forward and answer a few questions. :(

I'm trying to put together a new hackintosh compatible box, and definitely the old 1.1 GHz Celeron I have (no SSE2 or 3) will have to be sidelined.

I don't have much of a budget, but after a long search found this:

Asus P5KPL-CM

http://www.partspc.com/Recommend.asp?ProdID=16367

It's in the Asus P5K line you guys highly recommend, but comes with an

Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale E7200 2.53GHz 3MB 1066MHz LGA775 45nm Processor

(sorry for the large text, I was pasting it from that site)

The mobo is capable of up to:

Front Side Bus 1600/1333/1066/800 MHz (1600 is overclock speed) Memory 2 x DIMM, Max. 4 GB, DDR2 1066/800/667 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel memory architecture

Overclock speed and it's only around $180 with the CPU included.

I researched the Wolfdale on some overclock forums, and while it's a new but inexpensive chip, it has no trouble clocking higher (close to 4 GHz in some cases, and runs cool with no major "fannage" required other than the usual.

I'm not an experienced system builed though I have done so a few times, also changed clock settings, etc.

Is this a good choice? I'm not into heavy gaming, but do some gaming, mostly "lite" 3d stuff, but often also some dvd processing using transcode and frame resizing on long videos. I also have an Nvidia 6200 OC pcicard for this unit (it does still have 2 pci slots).

What's the deal on the magic number 1333? I'm fairly sure if I order this they will set it to 1066 FSB as per the chip recommendation, do I need to reset it to 1333 for a big jump in performance, or would the default do fine?

If I got this, would 2 or 3 sticks of PNY Optima 1GB DDR2 667 MHz memory do fairly well (they say not to go to 4 sticks or there may be some problems)?

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-OPTIMA-PC2-5300-...5434&sr=1-5

Appreciate some good advice, and have a great day....

<h1 class="parseasinTitle">

</h1>

• 3 months later...

Mobo is fine.

Kalyway 10.5.2 has audio driver in stock.

You need a video card, built in is not working (because it is not real video card).

Built in ethernet is not working too - i couldn't find any drivers.

I have a ethernet card from old pc, found on the street and is working...