Sorry, its another Install and "Waiting for Root Device" topic

mdtauk

11 posts in this topic

Ok now I am new here, but have been lurking an reading over the past few days before embarking on the OSX-86 project...

My Self-Built PC specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6600

MSI P35 Neo-F Motherboard

2GB Corsair XMS-2 DDR2 RAM Modules (An additional 2GB due to come from Corsair Repair)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E 16x

3 SATA Seagate HDDs 300GB, 300GB, 700GB

2 PATA/IDE DVD Re-Writers (HP Lightscribe dvd1040i) and (EMPREX 16x DVD-RW)

Initially I had a kernel panic when attempting to boot the install from the DVD, but after updating my MSI BIOS I managed to get as far as this screen, and the all too common "Still waiting for Root Device". After alot of searching the forums and reading, the closest cause I could find was IDE and SATA issues, but nothing conclusive.

osx-86-waiting.gif

(Ignore the green line, a replacement monitor is coming in a few days, silly LCDs lol)

Anyway, I am trying to install the Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso burnt onto a DVD-R at 4x speed. If anyone with more experience than I can help, it would be appreciated. I understand that it is a very difficult procedure, and that it may ultimately not be possible but the fun is in the trying is it not!

I would like to duel boot it with Vista as default and vista's bootloader. I have a FAT32 30GB partition prepared on a seperate drive to vista, to install Mac OS on which I know will need erasing with disk utilities and formatted as Mac File System (journaled) or some such option (I cant recall the exact name lol)

Ok now I am new here, but have been lurking an reading over the past few days before embarking on the OSX-86 project...

My Self-Built PC specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6600

MSI P35 Neo-F Motherboard

2GB Corsair XMS-2 DDR2 RAM Modules (An additional 2GB due to come from Corsair Repair)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E 16x

3 SATA Seagate HDDs 300GB, 300GB, 700GB

2 PATA/IDE DVD Re-Writers (HP Lightscribe dvd1040i) and (EMPREX 16x DVD-RW)

Initially I had a kernel panic when attempting to boot the install from the DVD, but after updating my MSI BIOS I managed to get as far as this screen, and the all too common "Still waiting for Root Device". After alot of searching the forums and reading, the closest cause I could find was IDE and SATA issues, but nothing conclusive.

osx-86-waiting.gif

(Ignore the green line, a replacement monitor is coming in a few days, silly LCDs lol)

Anyway, I am trying to install the Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso burnt onto a DVD-R at 4x speed. If anyone with more experience than I can help, it would be appreciated. I understand that it is a very difficult procedure, and that it may ultimately not be possible but the fun is in the trying is it not!

I would like to duel boot it with Vista as default and vista's bootloader. I have a FAT32 30GB partition prepared on a seperate drive to vista, to install Mac OS on which I know will need erasing with disk utilities and formatted as Mac File System (journaled) or some such option (I cant recall the exact name lol)

Hi there,

Your MOBO has Intel P35/ICH9 chipsets for NB and SB......with 4 SATA ports running via ICH9 and 1 from Marvell 88SE6111......so you should check http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335 and http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95309......set BIOS to AHCI if it is an option.....also

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

But may also need a modded BIOS.........see here also ..... ^_^

Thank you for that. I downloaded the modifyed A7360IMS bios and flashed it over the newer one. I made the changes to the bios settings as suggested, but I can not find any AHCI options anywhere.

I checked the two threads you linked to regarding ICH9, but to be honest I can't make head nor tale of it. A lot of the posts seem to be relevant to people with mac os already installed, however I do not, so these kext files (kernel extensions I think) is there something I need to do with them before installing. I just downloaded the kalyway file, and burnt the iso directly, was that wrong.

Thanks for replying, I hope I am not too noobish with all this...

So kext files can be used before installing. Could someone perhaps link me to the relevant kext files that you experts would reccommend, and perhaps detail how I can use them from vista or even from the darwin prompt...

Suggest you use a distro with the relevant kexts on the install DVD......try iDeneb 10.5.4 or JaS 10.5.4........ :unsure:

OK, I am downloading the iDeneb and JaS distributions and will try them out when they finish downloading. Are there any ways to download the kext and other files, and burn them on a disc. There is a folder called kext add to kalyway or something like that, and the instructions mention a .command file, but I think its a Mac format, and without a working Mac installation how can I run it... Is it something that can be done from the DVD Darwin boot loader, where it lets you type in -v -s and cpus=1 etc...

mdtauk,

I have the same problem with my P35 Diamond which I belive is the same as you.

I also had an IDE dvd drive, I found that getting a SATA dvd drive and disabling IDE on the mobo got past this issue.

I belive its something to do with the SATA drive always being second to the IDE stuff.

I also found a "-x -v" also helped as it must load some drivers in.

I got my kalyway 10.5.2 to install but I now getting another problem "using 10485 buffer headers..." pause. I think this is something to do with the firewire drivers and they need removing but I'm still working on this.

Hope the SATA dvd drive solves your problem as its took me two days of messing with the bios then giving up and going to the local PC world to buy a rip off dvd drive to find the solution.

Any problems let me know.

I'm thinking i may patch my bios with the neo patch from the hardware wiki but will see if i can do without first.

Regards,

Dom

PS I found more problems getting JaS' 10.5.4 disk to load so have stuck with kalyway's for now.

OK, I am downloading the iDeneb and JaS distributions and will try them out when they finish downloading. Are there any ways to download the kext and other files, and burn them on a disc. There is a folder called kext add to kalyway or something like that, and the instructions mention a .command file, but I think its a Mac format, and without a working Mac installation how can I run it... Is it something that can be done from the DVD Darwin boot loader, where it lets you type in -v -s and cpus=1 etc...

There are ways......you need to work with OS X Terminal though.....for example see in my last blog entry how I added the NFORCEATA kext to JaS mkext file..... :huh:

As you do not have a running OS X system that is why I suggested what I have..... :D

I have tried both iDeneb and JaS and I still cannot proceed past the waiting for root device.

iDeneb at least got me a grey apple boot screen, but after a minute or so of the spinning loading graphic, a Crosed Circle appears above the apple logo.

When I ran it with -v it went back to a text sequence and then the "Still waiting for Root Device" text appears.

I tried with the Sata set to disabled instead of IDE, and connected an old IDE drive I had kept from an old machine, but there was luck with that also. I guess I will just have to wait till I have some cash, and try find a SATA DVD Drive to use, and to disconnect the two IDE DVD Drives...

Incidently is there any way to run the Installation from the Sata drive partition itself, or perhaps an iPod Nano connected via USB. I have a couple of USB Keys but they are only 1GB each, which is too small!