Dell Dimension c521 (AMD)

kcmgaw

2 posts in this topic

Hello, I've been looking around here for about a year now and I want to say that this is an awesome effort. Period.

I was motivated to try OSX86 on my old Dell Dimension C521, which isn't my main computer (It's sort of a guinea-pig for OSX86).

I've tried installing it in many different ways, using many different flavors of OSX86. Let me lay down the specs for you of this fine, but old, machine:

Processor: AMD Athlon64 CPU (I THINK it's 1.2GHz). It's also SSE2/SSE3.

RAM: 512x2=1024MB of RAM

SATA Controller/Motherboard: nForce4 SATA controller with a 80GB hard drive with a TSST-Corp DVD-R/W drive. Both are SATA.

USB: 4 USB in back, 2USB in front

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1300 card w 128MB of VRAM, but it also has a basic nVidia GPU on board with 32MB of VRAM. I can use either or.

Current OS: None. It did come with XP Home SP2 though. I don't need a dual boot unless it's somehow easier. <_<

Other Hardware notes: The Dell c521 has a nForce Ethernet and a Sigmatel sound chip. It also had a modem card which I removed because I don't use dial-up. I do, however, use either a Netgear WG111v2 USB wireless adaptor or a Linksys WUSB54GC Compact Wireless adaptor for wireless internet -- both plug in a USB 2.0 port.

Here are a list of discs and utilities I have:

CURRENT LIST OF ISOs:

Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel Amd

at one point I had Leo4allv3.

UTILITIES:

GParted (whatever the latest version is).

NON-OSX86:

Windows XP Professional SP2 (Actual CD-ROM)

Ubuntu Linux 8 (ISO is on my main laptop)

When I first got to lurking here and trying out OSX86 on the C521. The nForce SATA "still waiting for root device" and other related errors discouraged me from pressing on. And then, when I saw this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=93635 (the C521 shares a similar setup, except it's slimmer), hope returned! I followed his instructions, but with devestating results... it says it installed, then I boot up.

Leo4allv3 caused a panic on bootup from the freshly installed OS (from SATA HD). It'll say it installs fine, but a closer look at the Installation Log shows while installing indicates a ****load of errors towards the end of it, however none of them are obvious. For example, it tosses out a very nasty amount of "ReportCrash" errors yet it'll tell me it installed successfully.

I've been using computers for a long time, so I can learn pretty quickly how to do DOS/NT commands, Linux terminal, and even OSX terminal if need be.

I just want to use OSX on a spare piece of hardware.

Thanks in advance :P

• 6 months later...

hey ik this is old but i am using a Dell dimension C521 and it's my main Computer

Processor: AMD Athlon64 x2 3800+. It's also SSE2/SSE3.

RAM: 512x2=1024MB of RAM

SATA Controller/Motherboard: nForce4 SATA controller with a 160GB hard drive with a 16x DVD ROM (Cant Burn stuff). Both are SATA.

USB: 4 USB in back, 2USB in front

Graphics Card: Nivida GeForce 6150 LE (Integrated)

Current OS: Windows XP Home Edition (Had Windows Vista Home Basic)

Other Hardware notes: The Dell c521 has a Broadcom 440x Intergrated Ethernet and a Sigmatel sound chip. I also have a Linksys Wireless Adapter (B/G) but i rather use Ethernet Over Wireless since my Sucks.

But yea i have a Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD and i was wondering how did u install it if not then where did u get Leo4allv3 is it better then Kalyway or is it the same and also did u need to do any BIOS work, and yea i am a n00b at this but i was wondering will it work on my Computer Stright thro the DVD or do i need to get more patches

thanks

-Holden

PS - if i dont check this or see my reply just PM me or Email Me holdenms@gmail.com