Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update breaks drive recognition

Burpethead

2 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I'm an advanced user, with the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L board.

Everything on the machine works great, except proper drive recognition / mounting. I installed Kalyway 10.5.2, and everything ran perfect.

However, following standard procedure & installing the Kalyway 10.5.3 update with kernel package, results in my drives being misrecognized when mounted.

Its weird - there seems to be no consistency. Internal drives are being seen as external, CD / DVD media as internal hard drives, USB drives are seen as CD/DVD, etc.

The machine functions fine - everything works. The only error is that sometimes my secondary file drive is not properly unmounted, causing its folder mount to be left in the /Volumes folder. Upon trying to remount my file drive, OS X thinks there is already another drive with the same name, since it's folder was left in /Volumes. As a result, it re-names my file drive with "name-1" whenever it does this - causing me to manually rename the drive, and use sudo to delete the folder mount left in /Volumes.

I have tried installing Kalyway 10.5.2 - 10.5.3 combo multiple times with the same results. Does anyone know of a fix?

*Moderator - this needs to be moved to the Leopard subform.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Half-solved this problem myself. Today I got a new SATA DVD-Burner (Pioneer 216D) to replace my IDE JMicron one that was causing kernel panics with 4 GB RAM.

Anyway, the new SATA burner wasn't really working right - it wasn't bootable, and randomly spit out the tray - other times, it was making the system unresponsive. But I did get a burn out of it..

For some reason I was under the impression OS X required AHCI to be on - so I played with cable orders & BIOS settings for a couple hours before realizing that turning AHCI off allowed my DVD to boot. It also fixed all the drive mounting issues!

So my two questions:

1) Has anyone else had this issue? I have a pretty popular board (Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L - Revision 1.0 with f5 / F6a beta BIOS) so I feel like someone should have.

2) I thought OS X Required AHCI to be on. Do I really need it if everything works without it? How much does it really improve performance? Does OS X need to be installed while AHCI is on?

Thanks!