Can I get a working install?

spiroth10

2 posts in this topic

Ok, Before I get to anything else, I'll post my laptop's specs:

Its a Sony Vaio VGN-NR220

processor is an intel core 2 duo 1.6Ghz

motherboard = ???

graphics = mobile intel 965 express chipset family

sound = Realtek High Definition Audio (idk what version or anything)

wireless card = Some atheros build... wasnt supported on linux up til the latest madwifi -- probably going to be iffy

Ethernet- Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

DVD Drive- Optiarc DVDRW ad-7560a

the rest is stuff Im pretty sure is irrelevant.

well last time I did an install, pretty much everything ran nicely system wise, but there were some significant problems that made it annoying, or just plain unusuable...

the major issue was getting my wireless card to work -- I was unable to do so with the version I installed... I really cant buy a replacement at this time (unless Id like to stop eating to afford it, I literally have $5 to my name right now).

also my ethernet port also didnt work, so I effectively had no way to connect to the internet. I*think* there may be a driver for this in some distros

another large issue was screen resolution -- on my laptop, the screen WONT adjust to any other resolution than 1280x800 -- and it wanted to run at 1024x768 and offered no alternatives. What I got was a small box in the middle of my screen that was all that was used by the GUI.

last I remember, sound didnt work on the installation I had -- but that might be because the first distribution included few drivers, I used another distro on another pc (that didnt work for motherboard reasons), I also *think* there is a driver on another distro for this.

I realise some of this might not work out of the box, but is there any way (aside from making my own drivers, im not that good a coder, nor do I know the specifics of the hardware neccesary) to get these devices working properly?

if so, a good reccomended distro (kalyway, etc.) reccomendation would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

for screen issue, check this link http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry924886

Ok, Before I get to anything else, I'll post my laptop's specs:

Its a Sony Vaio VGN-NR220

processor is an intel core 2 duo 1.6Ghz

motherboard = ???

graphics = mobile intel 965 express chipset family

sound = Realtek High Definition Audio (idk what version or anything)

wireless card = Some atheros build... wasnt supported on linux up til the latest madwifi -- probably going to be iffy

Ethernet- Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

DVD Drive- Optiarc DVDRW ad-7560a

the rest is stuff Im pretty sure is irrelevant.