Kalyway 10.5.2 default password?

kurt6

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

after a long search in this forum I could not find a solution to my problem, hence the new topic. Problem in short: Successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my PC and it boots up fine but no LAN of course (nVidia 500 chipset). Now when I try to do this sudo thingy (to install forcedeth drivers) it asks for a password. The thing is I haven't set any password upon installation. I only set my user name but left the password field empty. I even tried to change the password under my account but is asks for a old password which I don't have...any ideas for a workaround? I'm pretty new in this hackintosh so any help is welcome. Thank you guys in advance.

Hi everybody,

after a long search in this forum I could not find a solution to my problem, hence the new topic. Problem in short: Successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my PC and it boots up fine but no LAN of course (nVidia 500 chipset). Now when I try to do this sudo thingy (to install forcedeth drivers) it asks for a password. The thing is I haven't set any password upon installation. I only set my user name but left the password field empty. I even tried to change the password under my account but is asks for a old password which I don't have...any ideas for a workaround? I'm pretty new in this hackintosh so any help is welcome. Thank you guys in advance.

Hi Kurt6,

You can activate the root user by running the directory utility in /Applications/Utilities/Directory Utility.app

Menu "Edit" >> "activate root user" (to see this menu item you might first click on the lock)

Hope this helps

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it doesn't work: under directory utility it says that root user is already activated as I can disable it and I also tried that 'Change Root password' under the menu there...it did not work either. Basically I can not do anything under the terminal as it wants a password after every command and I haven't set any root password as I do not know how to do that. So I'm stuck there.

Your problem lies in your initial setup!

During the initial setup of your "user", during installation, you HAVE TO specify a password!! this is then also the ADMIN password!

You could boot from the Installation DVD and under your tool menu there is a reset password option, do this maybe it works!?

if not there is a post about the "welcome loop" error, where some people have the endless welcome screen during setup, you can look for the resolve of it and use that option to reset your password or

You can just reinstall and choose a password during setup this time!!

SticMAN

Hi everybody,

Thanks again for the reply. Well I tried to follow your advise (re-install the whole thing) and hit another problem now. I boot up using the same Kalyway disc as before and what happens: the whole thing hangs at the Welcome screen! I can select the Installation language, it says 'Preparing Installation' and then that's all. I can move the mouse and the keyboard seems to respond but clicking on the Continue button doesn't have any effect. And sometimes the Menu bar is missing as well. So i can't to anything. I cannot re-install and I cannot reset the password. As far as I know I haven't change any settings in BIOS and it all worked well before...