upgrade help

Pentium 2

2 posts in this topic

hello I just bought a 25 dollar Powermac G4 off Craigslist and have a few questions

First how can I get a pc PCI modem to work on it so I can use my aol dial up. (it has a modem in the back but the wire goes to where a airport card should be.)i have 5 pci cards but they won't work in the mac

second whats the best video card to put in it for good performance( it has a 32 meg agp Nvidea geforce 4mx, i put my 64 meg geforce 2 from my pc in it but got weird green line on the screen but worked. I also have a ATI radeon 9250 PCI card with 256 meg ram 400mhz gpu in my old cereron 1200 pc also i have a pci voodoo 3 card with 16 meg ram wich one is the best for this mac if any....

3rd question.can I put a pc dvd drive in the slot for the zip drive...

also can i put my DL dvd writer from the pc into the mac

the specs are

512 meg ram 2 pc133 128 meg sticks and a 256 meg pc133 stick

20 gb maxtor hardrive and a 10 gig hardrive from a old xbox

cd-rw drive sony (stock I think)

466mhz cpu(thats what tiger says)

geforce 4mx 32 meg agp card

usb pci card (version 1.1 I think )has 2 slots

os X tiger 10.4.11 with random programs i downloaded for it...

I have used macs in the past but that was 10 years ago when I was 12 or 13

I had a performa 636cd,Mac se(still have 20 years old and faster than vista)Mac 11SE and a few others

I want to make this MAC my main computer because my Pentium 4 is running like {censored} even after i put a 2.8 GHZ from my freinds laptop in it to replace the 1.7 and i have 700 meg ram and windows 2000 is stalling givin me errors and freezes and just plain sucks and xp sucks too

how can I get a pc PCI modem to work on it

You can't.

whats the best video card to put in it for good performance

You have 2 ways to go, either a Radeon 9800 Mac edition, or flashing (hacking) a PC card.

can I put a pc dvd drive in the slot for the zip drive...

No, it won't fit.

can i put my DL dvd writer from the pc into the mac

Scratches head, DL dvd writer? Any standard DVD burner will fit, but the existing Mac software might not "like" it, you may have to use 3rd party software (Toast?)