Silicon Image Sata Card + IatkosV4i crashes computer

badbonez

7 posts in this topic

I have a Silicon Image Sata 3124 raid controller in my motherboard (see sig) connected to a 1TB RAID0 drive which is formatted NFTS. I am using MacFuse 1.7 and NTFS3G 1.2 to read and write to the drive. I am using the latest drivers for this card from the Silicon Image website.

Things seem to work just fine for a while. When I boot up I can read and write any sized file I want. But, if I am not using it for a period of time (say 20 minutes) and then go to access it, I get the gray screen of death which says "You must reboot your computer." This only happens when I read/write from this RAID0 drive after not using it for a while. I don't know if it would happen with sustained use. And I'm not sure what the length of time is required to pass before this will happen. I've gone at least 15 minutes and then been able to access it.

I'm trying to come up with some troubleshooting steps, but I don't know what possible causes there could be. I doubt it's the formatting because I am using other single NFTS formatted drives and they never crash the system. But they are not on the Silicon Image card - I could try to move a different drive to that card and see if the same problem occurs. That could narrow things down.

Any have similar problem? Or perhaps have some trouble shooting suggestions?

Thanks!

silicon image still didn´t release 64 bit drivers for leopard. the 32 bit drivers are causing kernel panics with 4gb ram.disable memory remap in bios to make it work.

Thanks for that! I'll give it a try. I see we have the same motherboards. I'm using the Iatkos install pretty much vanilla (vanilla kernel and ACPIP) yet I cannot get sleep to work. My computer will power down and I can use the space bar to power the CPU up but the monitor does not turn on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Thanks for that! I'll give it a try. I see we have the same motherboards. I'm using the Iatkos install pretty much vanilla (vanilla kernel and ACPIP) yet I cannot get sleep to work. My computer will power down and I can use the space bar to power the CPU up but the monitor does not turn on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

clean install,graphics update and using gfx strings was the breakthrough. sleep is working 100% :)

realized right now that you are still using IDE mode - you should switch to AHCI

IDE could also be a reason for kernel panics using leo

clean install,graphics update and using gfx strings was the breakthrough. sleep is working 100% :)

realized right now that you are still using IDE mode - you should switch to AHCI

IDE could also be a reason for kernel panics using leo

What do you mean clean install? You mean with an official Apple Leopard disk? As for Graphics I am using an EFI string in my com.apple.boot.plist.

I changed the BIOS and so far I haven't crashed - I've even tried to recreate the crash. Will SI release 64 bit drivers? And if so, I can change that BIOS back, yes? What other ramifications are there without that setting? Is Leopard now running as a 32bit OS?

Thanks a ton for your help.

Oh, one more thing: What's your BIOS version? I'm using 2504.

many questions..................

I mean a retail install like here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

of course you can change your bios back. for sleep you have to use a more recent bios - mine is 2801.

for all other questions please use

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00948655...297:e41g72sr-ba

many questions..................

I mean a retail install like here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

of course you can change your bios back. for sleep you have to use a more recent bios - mine is 2801.

for all other questions please use

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00948655...297:e41g72sr-ba

Haha...sorry, I was coming to edit the questions. Thanks for your help.