So many problems with my new build!

Taylorwilsdon

10 posts in this topic

Apologies in advance if this is too wordy but I want to describe everything as best I can.

Here are my parts:

Motherboard - Was a Gigabyte P31-DS3L, but it died so I've RMA'd. Right now, its an ECS gf7050vt-m. I am willing to buy external sound and LAN cards (PCI or USB) if I'm not going to be able to get onboard to work; or I'll buy a better supported motherboard.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16ghz 45NM.

Video - Was eVGA 9800GT superclocked, returned for the cheaper (and I thought better supported) XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog edition.

Memory - 4GB (I have 8, but mobo supports 4) OCZ SLI Edition RAM DDR2-800.

PSU - Antec Earthwatts 500w

Case - Antec Sonata III

Hard drive - Several older IDE hard drives 40-100gb in size. I was under the impression IDE was better, but since my reading I've learned this may not be the case.

Optical - Sony IDE DVD+RW and Toshiba HD-DVD drives.

Monitor - Apple Cinema Display 23"

Here are my disks:

Kalyway 10.5.2 and iAtkos V4

And here's my scenario:

iAtkos was a wash. I put the disk in and it boots, brings me to a gray screen with a picture of an Apple and sometimes a spinning little circle thing below the Apple. Even verbose mode does not reveal anything. No go there.

Kalyway was much more encouraging, after some tinkering not only did it boot, it installed and loaded. The first time off, it would freeze / hang at the "Transfer Settings / Migration Assistant" screen. I combated this by booting in a limited graphics mode (640x520 or something) which bypassed it. Herein lies the first problem - booting. The OS will not boot without the disk in the drive. To boot, I have to boot off the disk and type

rd=disk0s1 -v

to get it to start. If I boot with just the hard drive, I get bumpkis. Just that gray screen with the Apple logo. The first time I installed (and it worked, mostly) was using MBR formatting. The second time, I used GUID and it doesn't work at all, even with the CD...

I've tried using a number of install options, and this is a pain in the ass because each install takes an hour and a half or more (can I shorten this...?). Vanilla kernel would not work, even though its a Core 2 Duo. The default kernel (sleep or something) does work. I've tried including video drivers, leaving all drivers off, etc with about the same luck.

Any suggestions? I have more problems with the working install but I want to figure out the booting without CD issue first. I've tried everything suggested on these forums, I updated to 10.5.3 with the combo updater and that killed my install :D so I have to do a fresh installation anyways.

Halp!

1. Your MOBO is a nForce 610i (MCP73V) chipset MOBO.......so you cannot run the vanilla kernel!

2. Your BIOS settings should be

SATA/PATA (IDE) - Enable AHCI if that is a BIOS option for you

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

Your MOBO has

3. Onboard GeForce7050 video with shared 256MB RAM

4. Onboard LAN is Realtek RTL8201CL

5. Audio codec is IDT 92HD202 6CH codec / 92HD206 7.1

6. For fewest problems use a USB keyboard AND USB mouse....

For Intel CPU and nForce chipset MOBOs check out the excellent threads by Mysticus C* http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87901

and http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

Kalyway seems to work for most people most of the time.....since you have an NForce chipset MOBO you cannot install vanilla i.e. stock kernels.......

Or try iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4......See my latest blog entry on how I installed it on a SATA HDD on a 650i nForce chipset MOBO..... :)

If you follow Mysticus C*'s guides carefully they should get you going OK...his guides and updater packages have got me up to running 10.5.4 on a 650i MOBO with a Q6600..... :)

If you need further clarification on each step read the Kalyway 10.5.2 (IMHO the preferred choice because of giving no SUIDs errors) and iATKOSv2.0i 10.5.2 install guides in my blog......Also other forum readers and members have posted saying that it helped them install OS X successfully on an Asus Striker Extreme 680i nForce chipset MOBO.....both Kalyway 10.5.2 (see here posts by icemantaz) and iATKOS v2.0i 10.5.2 (see posts here on pages 81 and 82 by sQuadron)...... :)

Kalyway 10.5.2 is the best you can do for the moment, works better than any other release.

Read first, check your hardware details and chose VERY carefully what packages to install, use MBR table.

Reinstall and do all the Updates except 10.5.4 combined update.

You will not see any serious difference by installing 10.5.4 .

Verdant, you're a lifesaver. That's exactly what I was looking for and more than I expected. I will give it a try when I get home.

Oracle, thanks for the heads up. I was getting tired of downloading more releases anyways :) I did download 10.4 (JaS) but I'm going to try more leopard first.

I have a Macbook Pro so I am very familiar with the updates, I installed it hoping that it would fix the problems I had. I was wrong :)

edit:

3. Onboard GeForce7050 video with shared 256MB RAM

Are you saying I should use this, or that I have this? If its the former, I can't use it... my monitor (23" Apple Cinema HD Display) does not support VGA, even with an adapter, because it uses a straight DVI-D connection.

Verdant, you're a lifesaver. That's exactly what I was looking for and more than I expected. I will give it a try when I get home.

Oracle, thanks for the heads up. I was getting tired of downloading more releases anyways :rolleyes: I did download 10.4 (JaS) but I'm going to try more leopard first.

I have a Macbook Pro so I am very familiar with the updates, I installed it hoping that it would fix the problems I had. I was wrong ;)

edit:

Are you saying I should use this, or that I have this? If its the former, I can't use it... my monitor (23" Apple Cinema HD Display) does not support VGA, even with an adapter, because it uses a straight DVI-D connection.

Your MOBO has integrated graphics....so you would have to check in the BIOS to see if you have the option of choosing a PCI-E graphics card as your primary video device.......and then install the XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog edition GFX card......also you have to limit your usage of RAM to 3072 MB.......see my blog.... :)

I don't understand the RAM limit... it never froze (while booting off CD) with 4GB RAM and frankly this isn't worthwhile if that's my ceiling. I'm only using 4gb right now because the ECS board only has 2 slots.

I believe I have graphics set to PCI-E as primary.

See here ......and here.....Known issues......on Intel chipset MOBOs setting AHCI mode in BIOS appears to overcome the "kernel-panic causing" >3GB RAM problem BUT not with nForce chipset MOBOs......

• 11 months later...
See here ......and here.....Known issues......on Intel chipset MOBOs setting AHCI mode in BIOS appears to overcome the "kernel-panic causing" >3GB RAM problem BUT not with nForce chipset MOBOs......

Hi.. i have mcp73v chipset.. ecs motherboard.. and e5200 dual core, 4 gb ram,i use ideneb 10.5.8 very well, but start only cpus=1 , not whit cpus=2...where is the problem?

excuse my english...