Barebone laptop

Ohioian

4 posts in this topic

Every newb needs to get started somewhere, well here I am! To be honest with you I’m not a virgin though I’ve done it with a few others before showing my face here. I’ve been building computers for the last 18 years and dealt with various distributions of Linux and for employment I work on Sun Microsystems and other pretty archaic equipment so I know that evil monopolistic word proprietary. I didn’t care about Mac until I bought the iPhone, after jailbreaking it and started playing with the filesystem and being a Linux junkie you know I was hooked. I thought Mac was some OS/2 Warp spin-off… Sorry, that was uncalled for!

I need your help to get this ball rolling and I’ll keep this a joint venture by keeping you updated with my findings but I want to start off on the right foot. I’ve read articles on barebone desktops with but not many on barebone laptops with the retail MAC OS X in the forums. The key word here is “RETAIL”. So if your going to tell me to read the list at the OSX86Project site I have and there dealing with builds not retail.

First is it doable? I can’t see why it isn’t but your dealing with a smart a** that believes to some degree it can be done and the other stuff can be worked out, but you’re the Mac experts and I’m the student. I’ve read blogs like LifeHacker that have done it on desktop PC’s so lets give a laptop a try here, hell it’s at my expense let me be the guinea pig and we’ll all get a laugh out of it.

So, what kind of barebone Intel architecture should I be looking for? I have an idea from the Apple Macbook Pro website but I need you to fill in the holes.

I bought it as Retail S96F the audio works becouse it's SoundMax wifi works becouse i bought a Dell 1390 b/g for $15 becouse the laptop doesn't come with a wifi but i didn't have any hardware problems