newbie needs help, hanging at boot

impreziv

6 posts in this topic

hey everyone, im new to the OSx86 thing (and OSX for that matter).

installing Kalyway 10.5.2 on my computer (Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo, with AMD SB700 southbridge chipset). installing it on its own 160gb SATA (seperate drive from my 250gb SATA with Vista on it).

got through the install by enabling AHCI for the sata drives in the bios (osx install didnt even see my SATA drives without doing this).

now im at the Apple boot screen, and its hanging on the spinning wheel. i did a -v boot, and the error its stuck on is:

"ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure"

anyone know how i can get past this? im guessing i need to install the Firewire Kext? i have no idea how to do that.

in Vista's Device Manager, my 1394 controller is called: "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller"

thanks in advance

i suppose i should also mention that after that Firewire error, it says "Still waiting for root device" or something like that. that error comes up a moment after the Firewire error, and repeats multiple times.

does this mean it doesnt like my HDD? im going to try installing it on an IDE drive later today when i get home from work.

"Still waiting for root device" is the Error thats stopping your install. To solve this problem I had to use this configuration:

IDE Primary Master: Hard drive

IDE Primary Slave: CDROM

Then I had to unhook all my SATA drives and SATA CDROMs.

first, try booting in safe mode. At the darwin bootloader, press f8 and type in -x, then press enter.

if that doesnt work, sometimes typing in cpus=1 works.

if THAT doesnt work, then try installing osx with different kernels or drivers!

bah, i only wanted to sample OSX. im not going to be dicking around with my hardware to do this. when OSx86ing has got to the point where installation is new-hardware-friendly, ill be back to {censored}-around :(

kudos to those with the skill/patience/time/purpose to pull off (what seems to be for most) a week long install/troubleshooting process just to boot to the desktop for the first time ;)

maybe if i get the time later this week, ill try installing it on my Acer Aspire One subnotebook. ive read the install is seamless, except for lack of Wifi drivers.