Problems with install on 790GX chipset.

Rhys28

3 posts in this topic

Ok, just upgraded my motherboard. It's an Asus with an AMD 790GX chipset w/ an X2 6400 chip. It's a little odd, if I have just the IDE DVD drive and HDD turned on (SATA turned off in BIOS), they show up as SATA device 5 and 6. If I have my SATA drives (Windows stuff) turned on, the IDE drives show up as IDE Master and Slave. Makes NOOOOOO sense to me. I think this is what is causing my problem. I just get "waiting for root device" after the USBOHCI messages. The only thing I haven't tried yet is unhooking the SATA drives but leaving SATA enabled in the BIOS and see if that works. I'm kinda at a loss here. It's such a new chipset, I can't find anything on here yet about getting things working with it. Any help would be appreciated, and if any of you Dev's out there working on these install discs need a guineapig to get things working with this new chipset, I'm happy to do testing for you!!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, just upgraded my motherboard. It's an Asus with an AMD 790GX chipset w/ an X2 6400 chip. It's a little odd, if I have just the IDE DVD drive and HDD turned on (SATA turned off in BIOS), they show up as SATA device 5 and 6. If I have my SATA drives (Windows stuff) turned on, the IDE drives show up as IDE Master and Slave. Makes NOOOOOO sense to me. I think this is what is causing my problem. I just get "waiting for root device" after the USBOHCI messages. The only thing I haven't tried yet is unhooking the SATA drives but leaving SATA enabled in the BIOS and see if that works. I'm kinda at a loss here. It's such a new chipset, I can't find anything on here yet about getting things working with it. Any help would be appreciated, and if any of you Dev's out there working on these install discs need a guineapig to get things working with this new chipset, I'm happy to do testing for you!!

Thanks!

I, too, have just bought some new hardware as well - including a 790GX based board. Funny thing is that I bought it without doing the research first to see as to how well OSX86 is going to play with it >_< Naturally I come across a post like this AFTER the parts have shipped ;)

Anyway, I'm in the same boat you are Rhys, though I haven't gotten the parts yet, it has the same chipset, so I'm expecting problems of all sorts @_@

The board is a Biostar TA790GX with an AMD Phenom X4 9950

Needless to say, this puppy is gonna SCREAM! ...but I don't really wanna give up my OSX'ness for it :-\

So I second Rhys' post, and am also darn willing to be a tester for you guys - I'll post any success or failures I run into along the way, and give any insight I can to the whole thing.

Haven't posted much on the site here...so I'm not sure if I've got my email address open for people to contact me at, if not, and you wanna get a hold of me, you can find me at: z.p -at- mac -dott- c o m.

!

• 2 months later...

I have a MSI DKA790GX Platinum and whenever I try to install Leopard it reboots right after I select boot from CD/DVD. I am lost to what could be causing this? Chipset issue with these builds of OSX? I know the DVD works because I installed it on a Nvidia chipset board just fine. Hmm...not sure what to do? Any ideas?