What is safe to update?

jamesy151

2 posts in this topic

I've installed a few apps now, office, iLife and iWork but they keep saying there are updates.

I'm running kalyway 10.5.2 non vanilla kernel and I know that updating the OS with apple updated (eg to 10.5.4) completely break it.

Is it safe to update the applications with the updater tool? 

Generally it's safe to update apps.

Bad things happen when updates overwrite the system files that have been patched in order to let OSX run on a PC.

But this normally only happens when you update apps that are closely integrated with the OS, like Time Machine for example, or if you install a security update.

Usually someone takes the plunge and posts on the news board here if an update worked or broke their install.

As with anything hackintosh you'll notice it's all very "usually", "normally" and "maybe". What works for someone else might not work for you. The best you can do is to see what everybody else is doing (search) and then make up your own mind about what you should do. Then post the results so that someone else can gain from your experience and make an informed decision..

Microsoft Office doesn't touch your system files for example so that would be safe to update.

I'm not 100% sure about iLife and iWork, you'll have to search the forum, I'm sure it's been covered already.

But I would update the OS first and make sure everything is working well before updating anything else.

You can use the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update, then the 10.5.4 Delta Update from Apple.

There are numerous threads on the subject already so I won't go into details. Search!

Here's a great way to search the community, thanks to PCWiz:

http://######.com/osx86search <--- there's even a plugin for Firefox.