P5N32-E SLI Compatability Issue

Dymbag

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So here's the scoop, I've tried all the usual, Kalyway, iatkos, Jas and leo4all (all versions) without any luck. The good news is the LEO4ALL V3 (after alot of research and attemps) has finally installed. "sweet". So here's the problem.

After the EFI runs my computer simply reboots. (not even an apple logo :o )

My question though is quite simple, "Has anyone with THIS motherboard successfully installed Leopard of any version?"

If so please respond, I'm at my wits end. Or if anyone has had similar issues on a different board and found a good fix that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

Here are my exact specs.

Asus P5N32-E SLI (Tried bios 1404 and new bios 1503)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (Cut to 1 for install)

4 GB Mushkin Ram (cut down to 2 for install)

250 Gig Seagate HD

All drives are SATA but install seemed to work fine

Had to deactivate Firewire to install

I have attempted several install options using the various kernals and drivers but this is the closest I get to a running OSX

Thanx to anyone that replies, as well as to all the posts that have gotten me as far as I have, I get the feeling this has come to an end though.... Crappy!

Hi all,

So here's the scoop, I've tried all the usual, Kalyway, iatkos, Jas and leo4all (all versions) without any luck. The good news is the LEO4ALL V3 (after alot of research and attemps) has finally installed. "sweet". So here's the problem.

After the EFI runs my computer simply reboots. (not even an apple logo :) )

My question though is quite simple, "Has anyone with THIS motherboard successfully installed Leopard of any version?"

If so please respond, I'm at my wits end. Or if anyone has had similar issues on a different board and found a good fix that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

Here are my exact specs.

Asus P5N32-E SLI (Tried bios 1404 and new bios 1503)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (Cut to 1 for install)

4 GB Mushkin Ram (cut down to 2 for install)

250 Gig Seagate HD

All drives are SATA but install seemed to work fine

Had to deactivate Firewire to install

I have attempted several install options using the various kernals and drivers but this is the closest I get to a running OSX

Thanx to anyone that replies, as well as to all the posts that have gotten me as far as I have, I get the feeling this has come to an end though.... Crappy!

Hi there,

Firstly, just try using OSx86Tools to reinstall the EFI bootloader...... :P and boot with -v to see what error messages if any then appear on the bootup screen......and report what they are.....

Secondly, for Intel CPU and nForce chipset MOBOs check out the excellent threads by Mysticus C* http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87901

and http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

Kalyway seems to work for most people most of the time.....since you have an NForce chipset MOBO you cannot install vanilla i.e. stock kernels.......

Or try iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4......See my latest blog entry on how I installed it on a SATA HDD on a 650i nForce chipset MOBO..... :)

If you follow Mysticus C*'s guides carefully they should get you going OK...his guides and updater packages have got me up to running 10.5.4 on a 650i MOBO with a Q6600..... :D

If you need further clarification on each step read the Kalyway 10.5.2 (IMHO the preferred choice because of giving no SUIDs errors) and iATKOSv2.0i 10.5.2 install guides in my blog......other forum readers and members have posted saying that it helped them install OS X successfully on an Asus Striker Extreme 680i nForce chipset MOBO.....both Kalyway 10.5.2 (see here posts by icemantaz) and iATKOS v2.0i 10.5.2 (see posts here on pages 81 and 82 by sQuadron)...... :P

Starting points:

Use a USB keyboard AND USB mouse....and in your BIOS......

Set SATA as "AHCI" or Serial-ATA Configuration [Enabled] depending on BIOS SATA options

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

I,ve followed the links that you suggested in the past without any headway, but I'll give the osx86 tools a try. Thanks, I'll let you know how I made out.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm pretty new to this, but

Don't I need to have osx running to be able to use the osx86 tool? Or am I supposed to do it during installation some time.?

Thanks

Okay, Here's the update, since I'm not sure what to do with osx86 tools without osx installed and running, I am now attempting another try at kalyway. The code it gives me is

SAM Multimedia: Read or Write failed...

AppleNForceATA: Found 0 units

SAM Multimedia: Read or Write failed...

Still waiting for root device

And it continues, as you all know quite well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I,ve followed the links that you suggested in the past without any headway, but I'll give the osx86 tools a try. Thanks, I'll let you know how I made out.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm pretty new to this, but

Don't I need to have osx running to be able to use the osx86 tool? Or am I supposed to do it during installation some time.?

Thanks

Your SAM Multimedia: Read or Write failed...error is due to problems with your SATA DVDRW......have you got a PATA (IDE) DVDRW you can try or a USB external DVDRW that you can install from.....what are your SATA BIOS settings?

As the Mysticus C* nForce thread states:

SAM MULTIMEDIA READ/WRITE ERRORS ARE INDICATION OF 3 POSSIBLE SCENERIO!!!

1) MOST POSSIBLE ONE IS THAT NFORCE ATA DRIVERS ARE NOT WORKING WELL ON YOUR SATA DVD (THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE AND HAS ANOTHER TEST DRIVER WHICH HELPS IT WORK A BIT BUT NOT TOO MUCH COMPATIBILITY, SO GET YOURSELF AN IDE DVD)

2) YOU BURNED YOUR ISO TO DVD WITH MORE THAN 4X SPEED (NEVER BURN MORE THAN 4X!!!, USE 4X OR LESS SPEED)

3) YOUR DVD MEDIA IS NOT VERY GOOD TO BE READ OR DVD WRITE IS NOT GOOD IN READING ALL MEDIA TYPES...

Bump

Bummer, no I don't I just gave it to my dad

My SATA settings are as you suggested.

I do have an IDE dvdRW drive, but my hard drives are all SATA

I'll try reburning at a slower speed and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Bump

Bummer, no I don't I just gave it to my dad

My SATA settings are as you suggested.

Which OS X x86 Install DVDs 10.5.2 or 10.5.4 do you have to hand?.......I ask because there is a new driver from MeDevil that should fix the "sam multimedia error" on SATA DVDRW drives......AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip......iDeneb 10.5.4 v1 or v1.1 has it as an option......

Perhaps you could disconnect the SATA DVDRW, copy this kext file to a USB memory stick via Windows and use Kext Helper b7 to install it into the OS X Extensions folder after removing the original...... AppleNForceATA.kext....?

I have the kalyway 10.5.2 and the Jas 10.5.4

Are you able to boot OK from JaS 10.5.4 and install?.......this one has the NForce Test driver under Chipset drivers I believe......

I couldn't before but I try again now with the new settings and let you know

Okay, with JaS I get the codes:

USBF: 61....CheckSleepCompatability....OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

Extension "com.apple.driver.itunesphonedriver" has no explicit kernel dependency: using version 6.0

ETC.

Damn root device... :blink:

I couldn't before but I try again now with the new settings and let you know

Okay, with JaS I get the codes:

USBF: 61....CheckSleepCompatability....OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

Extension "com.apple.driver.itunesphonedriver" has no explicit kernel dependency: using version 6.0

ETC.

Damn root device... :blink:

I suggest your options are

(i) download and try iDeneb 10.5.4.......see my blog......it has the new TEST nForceATA kext too....

(ii) first install to PATA HDD in a USB external HDD enclosure....see vis1600 saga here which had a successful conclusion

(iii) wait until you get a PATA DVDRW and/or PATA HDD and install OS X onto PATA HDD and then clone to SATA HDD

I installed a pataDVD drive and reburnt at 4X speed(kalyway). It now runs the Still waiting... after the following :

AppleNforceATA: Nvidia nforce MPC 55 by MeDevil ....

AppleNforceATA:Found 0 Units

Still Waiting....

DAMNIT

Looks like I need to get a pata HDD

I installed a pataDVD drive and reburnt at 4X speed(kalyway). It now runs the Still waiting... after the following :

AppleNforceATA: Nvidia nforce MPC 55 by MeDevil ....

AppleNforceATA:Found 0 Units

Still Waiting....

DAMNIT

Looks like I need to get a pata HDD

This is weird as I have an overclocked Asus P5NE-32 SLI Plus with 3 SATA HDDs (Samsung 500GBs) and a PATA DVDRW and never had a "Still waiting" error.....when installing Kalyway 10.5.2.....

For this overclocked Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO, the main working BIOS settings are:

Primary IDE Master [TSSTcorp CDDVDW]

SATA 1 [Hitachi HDD]

SATA 2 [samsung HDD]

SATA 3 [samsung HDD]

HDD SMART Monitoing [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Type [s3 (STR)]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Serial-ATA Controller [Enabled]

RAID Enabled [Disabled]

OnChip IDE Channel0 [Enabled]

IDE DMA transfer access [Enabled]

IDE Prefetch Mode [Enabled]

HD Audio [Auto]

Onboard 1394 [Enabled]

USB [all options enabled]

Dual Onboard LAN [still enabled by me because of their use by Vista and Ubuntu - causes me no problems as I use a RTL8169 PCI-NIC for OS X]

Memory Timing Setting [All AUTO]

Spread Spectrum Control [All DISABLED] - for maximum performance

CPU Internal Thermal Control [AUTO]

Limit CPUID MaxVal [DISABLED]

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [DISABLED]

Execute Disable Bit [ENABLED]

Virtualization Technology [DISABLED] Does not appear to make a difference whether ENABLED or DISABLED.

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology [DISABLED]

LDT Frequency [5x]

plus the overclocking settings for the FSB and voltages.....see my Overclocking blog entry for these.....up to 3.3GHZ Prime95 stable under Vista64

YES!!!

You kick ass...

Between your brains and my good looks, well... we'd have your brains..

Thanks alot,

I made it to the install by changing the bios settings exactly the same as you.

Before I do anything stupid can you recommend which kernel and drivers I should use for this board.?

Also, I'm not seeing an ATI 1600 pro listed, do I just pick the whole ATI 1000 series folder?

YES!!!

You kick ass...

Between your brains and my good looks, well... we'd have your brains..

Thanks alot,

I made it to the install by changing the bios settings exactly the same as you.

Before I do anything stupid can you recommend which kernel and drivers I should use for this board.?

Also, I'm not seeing an ATI 1600 pro listed, do I just pick the whole ATI 1000 series folder?

No, you would need to locate the proper driver for your GFX card.....check this thread assuming this is the GFX card you have......and for Customize selections see my blog entries.... :glare: