HELP! Unable to Install OS X on MacBook when trying to install Windows XP!

sabor

4 posts in this topic

I followed the instructions to install Windows XP on my MacBook. I had 3 partitions and Windows installer complained about not being able to install because of this. So I decided to follow the instructions and re-initialize my hard drive to 2 partitions.

After doing so with Disk Utility, OS X will not install on any hard drive. When the disks to install show up, they all have an X on them and it warns that "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start from this volume". This happens on external firewire disks as well, it wont let me install on any of them (I have reformatted the drive to 1 partition and the problem persists).

Any ideas on what I could do to get things back to normal? I am trying to think what could have happened when I reformatted the drive. Maybe the EFI partition was erased and then I am REALLY screwed up. Any hints/pointers that might help me with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've solved this problem starting an initialization with the erasing data flag checked (filling with zero) of the unique partition i've proviously created in the hard drive. Note that i didn't waited until the end of the process: click ignore. Next install osx on the partition or do anything you want.