Looking for a sure-bet configuration

13 posts in this topic

I have two PC's at home that I am giving up installing OSX on them (I guess I was told they have various hardware components that are not so "easy" to deal with)... so ... ok...

I have a nice ATX case (I have some hard disks at home, and i am guessing its not a big issue).

Can you suggest a motherboard + CPU + memory type + video card that is a SURE bet I will be able to install OSX Leopard on?

* Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard

* Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad

* Any paired dual channel PC6400 DDR2 dimms

* nVidia GeForce 7300GT or nVidia GeForce 8800GT

For hackintosh, your motherboard is generally the most particular part. Most nVidia cards work, and my hack has an eVGA 7800GTX, but the above chips also appear in Mac Pros, which is why I reccommend them. If you already have a nVidia 7xxx or 8xxx card, I suggest you try it with a new motherboard before replacing it. Any intel Core 2 Duo chip should work as well. The Q6600 is a great chip for the price, but if you have a Core 2 Duo already, you can just use it in the new board. Any RAM should do as well... I've never heard of OSX86 failing due to RAM that otherwise works in the motherboard.

Thank you! ... already making a list on newegg :( ...

A couple of questions:

Can I connect the HD's with SATA? (I have a couple of those already).

As for the video card, the one i have is ATI All-in-wonder X800XL PCIe 256MB ... would that work?

If not... how is the

EVGA 256-P2-N541-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

The one you recommended was over $200... I want to keep the budget low.

By the way, since I will get a new motherboard.. I guess I need a power supply... what kind should I get? does it matter for the OSX? (I guess it needs to match the MB)

EVGA 256-P2-N541-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

The one you recommended was over $200... I want to keep the budget low.

By the way, since I will get a new motherboard.. I guess I need a power supply... what kind should I get? does it matter for the OSX? (I guess it needs to match the MB)

a nVidia 7600 should work. (note I listed a 7300 which would not be over $200 as well -- the 7600 should work too tho).

WHEN you go to install you will click customize and select packages that you want to add. vanilla kerenel is the one apple you uses that way you can update without downloading a torrent update everytime. I am a noobie as well, I just put osx on my desktop, everything works but wifi usb. Had to do a scavenger hunt for my audio though. Have Fun, good luck, and most importantly njoy your mac. If you need computer building edvice PM me that i'm no noobie at =-)

Before I click on the "order" button... can anyone look at this configuration (attached) and tell me if:

1. It would be SIMPLE to install Leopard on it

2. How do I choose a power supply?

3. Will my old SATA hard drives connect to this (and work with the Leopard).

4. Any clue if this would be able to run the 30" apple display?

Thank you so much for your help

Newegg.com_Shopping_Cart.pdf