Whats the best way to setup a raid? thru the Mobo or OSx

6 posts in this topic

I have 2 sets or identical drives... 2 - 150gb WD's that I want to put my OS on and 2 - 620gb WD's that I want to use as my multimedia drive. My mother board does RAID 0,1,5 and 10... now I noticed in Disk Utility I can set up Raid also. For my OSx86 MAC whats the best way to setup the Raid, thru the Mobo or thru Disk Utility?

Hardware raid 0 via a PCI card controller. Works for a lot of people. Make a bit of search and you will find it ;)

I did do a search and the first 4 or 5 pages were all related to changing SATA/RAID settings to ACHI during an install. :)

Right now my 2 - 150gb drives are setup for a raid thru the Mobo and for some reason OSx sees the two seperate drives not just then Raid set.

Yes, it's normal cause OS X86 don't support native Raid out of the box. The only thing I see is an old topics which I post and the guys had a problem to dual boot with OS X and Vista on stripped raid. And that's from here, anotherguy said to me you for having RAID, you use the Apple software. Here is the link

Yes, it's normal cause OS X86 don't support native Raid out of the box. The only thing I see is an old topics which I post and the guys had a problem to dual boot with OS X and Vista on stripped raid. And that's from here, anotherguy said to me you for having RAID, you use the Apple software. Here is the link

So setting up a Raid thru the Mobo wont work. I need to set it up thru Disk Utility to get it to properly see the drives as a set, correct?