Kalyway - internet problem

bug0

13 posts in this topic

I can't connect to the internet. I have just installed my first osx leopard on my pc. I don't know how to set up a connection. I made some tries, but i still can't connect. I'm not sure but it seems that mac doesn't recognise any Ethernet port, because it suggest me to use an other way to connect, however the Ethernet option is still available. Running "Network Diagnostics" fails on everything: Ethernet, Network settings, ISP, Internet, Server.

On other operative systems, like ubuntu, for setting an internet connection i had just to abilitate the roaming and then connect to my router on 10.0.0.1 and configure the connection. the dhcp server is the router.

help

*I make a system information scan on windows (I'm running ubuntu, windows xp and osx leopard on my pc actually). if you can find it usefull wile helping me...

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/27/2008, 12:28:41

Machine name: ****

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Language: ****

System Manufacturer: MSI

System Model: MS-7255

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1022MB RAM

Page File: 345MB used, 2017MB available

Windows Dir: *****

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

--------------

System Devices

--------------

Name: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3065&SUBSYS_72551462&REV_7C\3&267A616A&0&90

Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\fetnd5b.sys, 3.32.0000.0417 (English), 4/15/2004 04:57:20, 42496 bytes

Name: VIA Ultra VLINK Controller

Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_287E&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&8F

Driver: n/a

I just fixed part of the problem:

$kextload ViaRhine.kext

after this the OSX detected 1new Ethernet port. But in the Network Configuration window the pc allerts me that the Ethernet cable IS NOT plugged in, but is not true.

how can i fox this?

well, first you have to download this patch

http://www.pinxue.net/mac/viarhine-rel.tar.gz

then you extract it and you'll have a new directory called Release.

in it you find a ViaRhine.kext directory and a loader

if you just copy the .kext file in /System/Librarys/Extensions/ and load it with "sudo kextload /System/Librarys/Extensions/ViaRhine.kext", you will notice that there is a new ethernet port, but that the cable is UNPLUGGED

otherwise, if you copy the loader and the .kext in your home directory and then you simply run the loader double-clicking on it (it asks for password obviously), then the cable will be PLUGGED :D

i made this an automatic operation (System preferences>account>login items>add item>loader) butt it still asks me the password every time i reboot the pc because it executes it like normal user and not like root.... and this remains a problem..

please post if you solve your problem too, or you do not

p.s. i'm not writing from mac now, so do not copy/paste what i wrote... :lol:

When i run sudo kextload /System/Librarys/Extensions/ViaRhine.kext look at what i get ..

post-230260-1217358658_thumb.png

What should i do ?

PS: i Tried the 2nd method, it says Process completed etc.. but still .. can't get connected to the internet. :)

well, to make the first method function maybe you have to do first

sudo chown -R root:wheel ViaRhine.kext (=== in fact, this is what does the loader before starting kextload)

and then repeat kextload /System/.....

but i think that the second method would be the better one...

what do you have in system preferences>network?

this are my system preferences:

__

when i start up the osx, in the system preferences is writed that the cable is unplugged

Picture%201.png

so i open my home directory where i have ViaRhine.kext and loader

Picture%202.png

double click on the loader

Picture%203.png

password.... and you can see that now the cable seems plugged

Picture%204.png

and also that now i get my local ip, the gateway and the netmask

Picture%205.png

of course.. if the cable seems plugged and you still can not connect to the internet, then maybe you have to check you router configuration...

When i go in preferences > Network, I have all 5 things, All of them with a red light that say " Connection failed "

I have a question, the first time when you installed os x , what did you choose? you had 5 choices, " Dsl, cable modem etc .. "

Otherwise.. Isn't there any other possibility to do this? BTW: I downloaded leo4all v3.

Thanks for your help again.

Sincerely,

Cradle.

i selected dsl, but i think you can still change it

but if you checked you router settings, you tried whot i suggested and you are sure you have a Via Rhine II NEtwork kard, than i don't know how else to help you... sorry

wow...

in my first post i specified that my network card is a via rhine adapter

Name: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3065&SUBSYS_72551462&REV_7C\3&267A616A&0&90

Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\fetnd5b.sys, 3.32.0000.0417 (English), 4/15/2004 04:57:20, 42496 bytes

So it is obvious that ViaRhine.kext contains drivers for this specific network card.... i thought you has the same card when you say you have the same problem, otherwise i hadn't say you to download this drivers :)

with your network card you need other drivers.. try this (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=89475&st=0)

• 1 year later...

this is what you do. you put in the disk and get to the screen where it has the button install. then on the bottom left hand corner it says customize. click it. then you should see a check box along the lines of net driver (there is also an audio check too). check the net driver box. then say ok. then say install. after your computer restarts go through the normal installation of the keyboard and the mouse. you should pass through the screen on the keyboard installation that has a list of wireless connections. click the best one and move on. after that make your user name. then you should get the mac desktop. THERE YOU GO!!! on the upper right hand screen you should see that your connected.