OSX on a Shuttle XPC SD32G2

3 posts in this topic

I’ve got a couple of questions on this, that I was hoping some people round here might know the answer to-

Firstly, I intend to install the Kalway 10.5.2 release and assume I’ll need to patch it with Nic drivers (if I want this working) and maybe audio.

But I will definitely need wireless access, so was wondering what’s the best option hardware & driver hack wise; is there any (native or extra) driver support for the Shuttle PN15 wireless unit?

I was going to buy a Nvidia 8800GT for this rig as I’m hoping/assuming it’s fairly plug and play with 10.5.2 (due to driver support).

I’m also planning on Installing windows as well, but dual booting an OSX 86 box sounds a bit/lot tricky, but I would need to do this reliably, and was wondering what the best way would be (separate partitions or two seperate HD’s)? I also have copy of Parallels and was wondering if I would be able to run Win in VM in the Mac OS Successfully on this box (while being able to dual boot as well?)

Does this all sound like to much of a tall order for a N00b?

Ok, from what I've read, IDE drives (optical & HD) might be an idea to start of with, Vid card should be Ok, and am reasonably confident with the OSX Install. All need to sort out now, is which boot record (creator?) to go with. Since I would like to dual boot my Shuttle between Win (maybe Vista) & OSX, (the 2nd pretty obvious I know!) this seems like it's going to be the trickiest part. Anyone else got any other opinions?

• 2 months later...

Just a head up for anyone doing this, this Shuttle makes an EXCELLENT Hackintosh Box, with the built in video, sound and ethernet all supported in the Kalyway DVD (if you select the right install driver options).

Dual booting is easy with the Darwin Bootloader, as long as you install in a certain fashion, and the 8800GT works fine with NVInject drivers.

My system with e4400 with 2 gig ram and onboard vid, gets 150 in XBench (the average score for a Mac Pro)

I used an IDE Optical and HD and had no probs with the install, I "think" probs with Sata Vs IDE drives only arise when Bios options aren't correctly set, for their requisite controllers.