Vista x64 | OSX86 | openSUSE 11.0 Triple Boot Success?

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I had been having some issues with trying to triple boot the three oses but after some time, figured out a working, albeit annoying, way.

1. I had installed vista first, then osx and made sure that it dual-booted fine (pretty straightforward).

2. Then I made the vista partition active and downloaded easyBCD and had it edit the vista bootloader to include osx.

3. Now on reboot, I went straight to vista boot manager and clicking on the osx entry sent me to the darwin bootloader where I could boot osx (the option to boot vista was still listed under darwin, clicking on it merely sent me back to the vista boot manager).

4. Next, I installed openSUSE and made sure the GRUB bootloader was installed on my linux partition.

5. Upon reboot, I went straight into GRUB, where I could select windows (sending me to the vista boot manager where I can do step 3 to boot osx or vista).

And there's my working triple boot! It's tedious and far from perfect, but it works.

I'm sure there's a better way out there which probably involves my editing of GRUB so I'd appreciate help from the more seasoned multi-booters to suggest what I should do next. I'm guessing I could probably add osx's partition to GRUB with chainloader but at this point, I don't know how to remove the other bootloaders that are hanging around on my various partitions.

Regardless, I'm just happy the triple boot didn't take down any of my oses. :)

Best,

Tristan

Hello all,

I had been having some issues with trying to triple boot the three oses but after some time, figured out a working, albeit annoying, way.

1. I had installed vista first, then osx and made sure that it dual-booted fine (pretty straightforward).

2. Then I made the vista partition active and downloaded easyBCD and had it edit the vista bootloader to include osx.

3. Now on reboot, I went straight to vista boot manager and clicking on the osx entry sent me to the darwin bootloader where I could boot osx (the option to boot vista was still listed under darwin, clicking on it merely sent me back to the vista boot manager).

4. Next, I installed openSUSE and made sure the GRUB bootloader was installed on my linux partition.

5. Upon reboot, I went straight into GRUB, where I could select windows (sending me to the vista boot manager where I can do step 3 to boot osx or vista).

And there's my working triple boot! It's tedious and far from perfect, but it works.

I'm sure there's a better way out there which probably involves my editing of GRUB so I'd appreciate help from the more seasoned multi-booters to suggest what I should do next. I'm guessing I could probably add osx's partition to GRUB with chainloader but at this point, I don't know how to remove the other bootloaders that are hanging around on my various partitions.

Regardless, I'm just happy the triple boot didn't take down any of my oses. :hysterical:

Best,

Tristan

Hi there, I followed a similar but IMHO simpler route:

1. Installed Vista64 on the SATA1 HDD and EasyBCD 1.7.2.

2. Rebooted and installed Ubuntu64 8.04 on the SATA2 HDD with GRUB installed on its own in a small (1GB) primary static boot partition, i.e. /boot and Ubuntu itself i.e. /root and /home and swap volumes on a logical volume via LVM (using the Ubuntu alternate desktop install CD)

3. Rebooted and installed Kalyway OX Leopard 10.5.2 on the SATA3 HDD with Darwin EFI bootloader.

Rebooted and set Vista64 HDD as the 1st HDD for booting priority in my BIOS, and when in Vista, I simply ran EasyBCD to set up the Windows Boot Manager with Vista, then Leopard, and then Ubuntu as the boot option order...... :)