VirtualBox's free virtual machine

5 posts in this topic

If you want the Boot Camp files to also be the virtual machine's install or need Direct X, then quit reading.

Otherwise, I installed the current version of VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) over the weekend, then installed a copy of Windows 2000. I was up and running quickly. This application is owned by Sun.

This is not a full review, of course, but I did do things inside of the virtual machine (free) without problems. I also got a desktop resolution I could live with. (My native resolution on my Hackintosh is 1600x1050 but only got 1400x900 in the virtual machine. I think with some work, I probably can get the full resolution.)

Don't forget to install the extra tools that allows the resolution to be changed and for the mouse pointer to go from the virtual machine to the Mac desktop w/o problems.

I would appreciate anyone else using this application to let me know their experiences. I have not tried XP or Vista inside of the virtual machine.

thanks

charlie

• 3 weeks later...

The speed of VirtualBox blows away Parallels.

I think it's on par with VMware Fusion in terms of performance. VMware Fusion has more features than VirtualBox, but VirtualBox is free and open-source; you really can't beat that.

• 6 months later...
I would appreciate anyone else using this application to let me know their experiences. I have not tried XP or Vista inside of the virtual machine.

I have VirtualBox running on my gatebook with XP and on a MB Pro with Win 7. It runs fine (a tad slow, mainly because I've kept it's resources down-- both laptops only have 2GB). Network, sound everything works.

I haven't tried USB-- no need for my uses-- but the shared files work fine.

I've mainly installed it just in case I need Windows running for testing web clients using IE/Win. I also plan to install sopcast and test its performance versus Crossover Office/Darwine.

Since it seems to be reasonably proficient for my needs, I plan to blow away my XP partition (I kissed off my Vista partition last week when I upgraded to 10.5.6).

If I run into any problems, I'll post here, so we have a running thread for VirtualBox users.

As to the VB versus VMWare versus Parallels, I'd rather support OpenSource than piracy.