Restoring Kalyway 10.5.2 install

saskmac

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I got my Kalyway 10.5.2 install to the point where i wanted to back it up. I used NetRestore to create a backup disk image. I wanted to enlarge the partition that this install was on. I repartitioned the drive, making the Kalyway partition larger. As well the partitions are GUID partitions. I then booted up off of the Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD and launched Disk Utility to restore my previously saved disk image. The restore proceeded without a hitch. However, now my install will not boot up, just coming up to a blinking cursor. From reading the forums, I think i have to reinstall the bootloader. Can someone either point me to the best guide to restoring the files i need or give me some more guidance. Thank you for your time.

Hi,

I got my Kalyway 10.5.2 install to the point where i wanted to back it up. I used NetRestore to create a backup disk image. I wanted to enlarge the partition that this install was on. I repartitioned the drive, making the Kalyway partition larger. As well the partitions are GUID partitions. I then booted up off of the Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD and launched Disk Utility to restore my previously saved disk image. The restore proceeded without a hitch. However, now my install will not boot up, just coming up to a blinking cursor. From reading the forums, I think i have to reinstall the bootloader. Can someone either point me to the best guide to restoring the files i need or give me some more guidance. Thank you for your time.

I think your best bet is to use the Gparted Live CD to set the boot flag -- you can get more details here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77596

For future reference, I use an external usb drive for my backup, using hatchery_H1. Then I use osx86 tools to install the EFI bootloader (i prefer the Chameleon bootloader myself, but you get 3 or 4 choices from the Install EFI/Run fdisk button.) Once you get your Leopard up and running, be sure to download osx86 tools:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=104754

Best of luck :)