Can anyone tell me what, if anything I need to upgrade?

2 posts in this topic

I have a rackmount computer in my closet running Windows XP that I use for recording (I've got a firewire audio I/O on top and an EQ and power amp also on the rack, as well. It's essentially my recording studio.)

It has two 200 GB hard drives, one blank, and I wanted to use that blank one to try OS X and Logic 8 on it. My question is, what do I need to do in order to be able to have a full vanilla install (using the modified BOOT-132 featured on the front page)?

Its specs are:

• 2x 200 GB SATA Seagate hard drives
  • Sony PATA DVD±RW drive
  • 2x 1 GB RAM (for a total of 2GB dual channel)—I'm not 100% positive on this; I think I may have only put one RAM card in (thus it would only have 1 GB single channel) but if this is the case, I doubt it would make a difference and I know it wouldn't be hard or expensive to add another gig.
  • Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
  • GeForce 6200LE (this is an audio workstation so there's no need for any fancy graphics cards)
  • Pentium D CPU—I'm not sure the model number but from what I remember it was the highest end of the Pentium D line.

Anyway, what, if anything, would I need to upgrade to run OS X from a vanilla install, using original unmodified install discs? I want to have a computer that, unless Apple decides to create an update that breaks hackintosh support, will theoretically not have any problems related from it not being a real Mac. I tried booting from a Leopard install disc once (not an original one—I think leo4all but I'm not positive; it was a while ago) and it got "Still waiting for root device". I'm told that it means I need to buy an adapter to put the DVD drive on SATA since newer motherboards have very substandard PATA support. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822998001 would that do? Also, do I need to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual Core CPU to do a vanilla install?

Lastly, does the modified BOOT-132 only affect the install process? Meaning if the system supports a vanilla install, it would be worth it to skip the BOOT-132 and downloading looking on my..erm...bookshelf... under stuff for a retail disk and just using my Leo4all V2 disc?

I have a lot of experience with hackintosh systems and know a lot about how to troubleshoot problems, etc, but I'm not very knowledgeable about general hardware support, and know next to nothing about vanilla installs.

Thanks!

I know from experience the Pentium D is going to give you some issues with vanilla. But I have heard others using it, so it just might be my experience. I'd say a core 2 duo would be a good buy fer ya. Put the other memory stick in too.