Kalway 10.5.3 Sleep & Reboot Issue

bpopilek

2 posts in this topic

Hello all! Well after removing OSX from my laptop a while back, I have decided to re-install it as the primary OS and kick Vista to the curb! The last time I played with OSx86, I used the JAS 10.4 DVD. I had similar problems back then, when compared to what I am seeing now. I ended up removing 10.4 though because I had additional issues that now seem to be resolved with the 10.5 install.

The current issue is this, I ran the Kalway 10.5.2 install DVD and got the laptop up and running. At that time, when I would press the power button, I would get the shutdown/reboot/sleep options. When I tried putting it to sleep, it went into sleep mode, but I could never get it back out. I would have to do a hard power off and reboot. And the other thing is when I would attempt a reboot, it would promptly power my laptop off instead of completing the reboot. I know it is capable of rebooting because if I am at the Darwin prompt, I can get it to reboot there properly.

So... I then decided to try the Kalway 10.5.3 update. After fiddling with the video drivers after the update, it is back up and running. However, now when I press the power button, nothing happens. If I try to put it into sleep, the mouse cursor vanishes and the screen remains intact. It never actually goes into sleep mode now. Not to mention, I am still having the same trouble with the rebooting.

This is a Gateway MT6821 Core 2 Duo machine. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really wanna get this running well for when I start school in the fall. Thanks in advance! :)

Well, I was able to get both of these issues resolved. I formatted the machine and went back to Kalway 10.5.2. This time I only installed the SleepKernel. Now when I boot up and put the notebook into sleep mode, it works properly and comes out of sleep as well. In order to resolve the reboot issue though, I had to remove the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext file and one the machine is rebooted... Errr Powered off! For the first time, it will reboot properly from then on! I have yet to try to update back to 10.5.3 to see if everything still works though.