imac g3 booting problems

9 posts in this topic

Ok, so i might have lied saying that my quicksilver was my first mac, its acttually my second. It's my first that is 100% working though. I bought an imac g3 off a friend for $10 bucks about 4 months ago. I got it home and it booted perfectly. I moved it into m room, set it up, and booted it, it didn't boot. Just came up with a flashing folder with a question mark so i kept trying and trying, but it just wouldn't boot. being the mac noob i was/am, i googled a bit and found that i should reset the nvram and the pram. I did that with no results. so it sat on my floor until a few days before my quicksilver came in, i plugged it in and it booted perfectly! so i was messing with it most of the day, put some ram i found in it and surfed the internet on it. i then turned it off to go out to dinner. when i came back it wouldn't boot and gave me the flashing folder and quesion again. any ideas?

I had similar intermittant problems with my other g3 tower, i would lean towards a dying HD or possibly dying power supply, assuming that its not the OS itself. just a guess

Ok, so i might have lied saying that my quicksilver was my first mac, its acttually my second. It's my first that is 100% working though. I bought an imac g3 off a friend for $10 bucks about 4 months ago. I got it home and it booted perfectly. I moved it into m room, set it up, and booted it, it didn't boot. Just came up with a flashing folder with a question mark so i kept trying and trying, but it just wouldn't boot. being the mac noob i was/am, i googled a bit and found that i should reset the nvram and the pram. I did that with no results. so it sat on my floor until a few days before my quicksilver came in, i plugged it in and it booted perfectly! so i was messing with it most of the day, put some ram i found in it and surfed the internet on it. i then turned it off to go out to dinner. when i came back it wouldn't boot and gave me the flashing folder and quesion again. any ideas?

Reset the PRAM aren't? I saw this problem before but I changed the supply cable off the plug to an another and it come back normaly. That's pretty tricky :thumbsup_anim:

No sorry it's not what I want to say... Take the power cord and just try to switch the plug. You can see if your wall plug is defective.

For some time, the up and down of power is cause by the PSU becoming defective. Be aware you can burn your logic board (if it's the PSU) with those fluctuations.

I'm ready to put 5$ on the table it's your PSU gonna take the thrash can. I would say open the case and buy a PSU tester and try but it's not simple like that. For me, I take a new iMac and worked for changing the disk. Takes ~30 mins for a guy with no memory (screw) blank loll!

Testing the power supply is no problem, thats what I have my dad for. does any body know of any good instructions for getting that out? if not, off to google I go.

I know you can use a multimeter (for electricity) for seeing if the 12 volts is correct. But I don't know in which mode you should put the meter. Anyway, you can go at a PC store and ask a PSU tester for 10$ or 12$ max :)