Precision 690 Ethernet Cards

iMaik

2 posts in this topic

So after tearing my hair out trying to get the onboard Broadcom 575x NIC (Vendor 14e4, Device 1600) to work and failing miserably I gave up on it. Now I've turned to getting a PCI NIC to work. First I tried the Intel PRO/1000 GT. I can get the driver to load for it after tweaking the Info.plist, but I get some sort of memory mapping error.

Next I turned to a 3C905C card. I checked the HCL for 10.5.2 (I'm running Kalyway 10.5.2, btw) and saw that this NIC was supported out of the box. I checked the Info.plist for the driver and compared it to the device ID of the device and sure enough they matched up. After installing the card the machine boots up but I don't see anything about a new NIC being found. I thought to myself that maybe the kext hadn't loaded, but when I went to load it manually it says it's already loaded, which is good because it's detecting the card and loading it like it should be. Unfortunately when I do ifconfig it doesn't list any other interfaces there, nor does the Network preferences pane. Also, when I try to kextunload the driver it says it's unable to because it has 1 instance. I'm thinking the reason this NIC won't work and the Intel one won't work are related somehow, I'm just not sure to what. Could it be a problem on the PCI bus or something?

I'm using a Dell Precision 690.

• 11 months later...

Hi iMaik, just install AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext using KextHelper b7 and Voila!!! ;-) Works great for the built in ethernet. Now maybe you could help with firewire... Its recognised in IORegistry explorer, but "unable to get device memory...) --brian

So after tearing my hair out trying to get the onboard Broadcom 575x NIC (Vendor 14e4, Device 1600) to work and failing miserably I gave up on it. Now I've turned to getting a PCI NIC to work. First I tried the Intel PRO/1000 GT. I can get the driver to load for it after tweaking the Info.plist, but I get some sort of memory mapping error.

Next I turned to a 3C905C card. I checked the HCL for 10.5.2 (I'm running Kalyway 10.5.2, btw) and saw that this NIC was supported out of the box. I checked the Info.plist for the driver and compared it to the device ID of the device and sure enough they matched up. After installing the card the machine boots up but I don't see anything about a new NIC being found. I thought to myself that maybe the kext hadn't loaded, but when I went to load it manually it says it's already loaded, which is good because it's detecting the card and loading it like it should be. Unfortunately when I do ifconfig it doesn't list any other interfaces there, nor does the Network preferences pane. Also, when I try to kextunload the driver it says it's unable to because it has 1 instance. I'm thinking the reason this NIC won't work and the Intel one won't work are related somehow, I'm just not sure to what. Could it be a problem on the PCI bus or something?

I'm using a Dell Precision 690.