Hard drives for boot and storage...

2 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm about about to build my Hackintosh (based on the Gigabyte p35 board DS4). I purchased the 500 GB Seagate Barracuda ST3500320AS, but recently read that the Western Digital SE16 WD500AAKS performs much better. Is this true? A couple of days ago I opened up a Mac Pro to install another Video Card and noticed that it used the WD500AAKS. I was planning on using this drive for storage.

I also bought another smaller Seagate drive for Dual Boot (7200 rpm) but am now wondering if I should have went with a small 10,000 rpm drive(Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB). Does anyone know of one that works well with OSx86 or how one might perform compared to a 7200 rpm boot drive(or worth being twice the price and half the space)?

thanks in advance

Apple uses the same components as everyone else. If you see a particular brand hard drive in a Mac that doesn't mean it's any better or any worse than another. A hard disk is a hard disk so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Get whatever size and speed you think you'll need. Search other sites for recommendations and possible tips on what to avoid. The problem is you can ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers.