Kalyway 10.5.2 on Sony VAIO UX280P experience

stevenf

4 posts in this topic

Last night I tried installing Kalyway 10.5.2 onto a Sony VAIO UX280P.

The installer works flawlessly, and got all the way through without a hitch. Progress bars and beachball cursors were animating smoothly, so I think it's even got the right GPU driver. I installed with the default options (no customization, patches, etc.)

Upon rebooting from the hard drive, I get the Apple Logo with spinner, then a blue screen. If I boot in verbose (-v), I still eventually get to the blue screen, so I guess WindowServer is starting up OK.

I believe what is happening is that Setup Assistant is launching and trying to play its movie. I'm not sure why this wouldn't work, but one possibility is the non-standard screen resolution (1024x600).

I tried renaming/moving the intro.mov file out of the Setup Assistant bundle, but that made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions on bypassing the first-run Setup Assistant (creating an account manually, etc), or any other troubleshooting I could try?

The installer ran so well, it's heartbreaking to see it not boot to the Finder. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Last night I tried installing Kalyway 10.5.2 onto a Sony VAIO UX280P.

The installer works flawlessly, and got all the way through without a hitch. Progress bars and beachball cursors were animating smoothly, so I think it's even got the right GPU driver. I installed with the default options (no customization, patches, etc.)

Upon rebooting from the hard drive, I get the Apple Logo with spinner, then a blue screen. If I boot in verbose (-v), I still eventually get to the blue screen, so I guess WindowServer is starting up OK.

I believe what is happening is that Setup Assistant is launching and trying to play its movie. I'm not sure why this wouldn't work, but one possibility is the non-standard screen resolution (1024x600).

I tried renaming/moving the intro.mov file out of the Setup Assistant bundle, but that made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions on bypassing the first-run Setup Assistant (creating an account manually, etc), or any other troubleshooting I could try?

The installer ran so well, it's heartbreaking to see it not boot to the Finder. :)

You are going to want to make sure that you tic the gma950 video drivers during installation. Otherwise, the video isn't going to work correctly. I have a UX280p with kalyway 10.5.2 installed and the only thing I miss is the sleep function. I cannot believe how well OSX translates to the UX.

• 3 weeks later...
You are going to want to make sure that you tic the gma950 video drivers during installation. Otherwise, the video isn't going to work correctly. I have a UX280p with kalyway 10.5.2 installed and the only thing I miss is the sleep function. I cannot believe how well OSX translates to the UX.

This is a good place to look for UX specific instructions for OSX.

http://micropctalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

What is working:

Video

Audio (full support)

Wireless (with replacement card dell 1490)

Ethernet

External Display

Bluetooth

Firewire

Touchscreen (some limitations with trial driver, have to calibrate every 100 clicks)

What isn't working:

Original wireless card

Fingerprint reader

Memory stick reader

Cameras

Brightness controls

Special buttons