Kalyway 10.5.3 almost perfect on Dell Inspiron 530

WildCat65

4 posts in this topic

Just played with Kalyway 10.5.3 update package for 2 days.

Hardware: Dell Inspiron 530

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad, 2.4GHz (Q6600)

RAM: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

Hard Disk: 500GB SATA HD

Optical Drive: 16X DVD+-R

Video: NVDIA 8600GT (not the on board Intel 3100)

Sound: On board 7.1 Channel Audio

Wireless: Internal PCI 802.11g wireless NIC (recognized as third party aircard)

----------------------------------------

Pretty standard stuff (I did not have Halyway in mind when buying this VISTA box).

Installation path:

1) Install Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD with MBR partition (for dual booting vista/kaliway). The only noticible non-working component is the missing sound. The updated to 10.5.3 as instructed and sound will get fixed upon the 10.5.3 upgrade.

2) Install Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD with MBR partition (this is for dual booting Vista/Kaliway), this process is NOT flawless (the newly installed box will loop through the initial welcome screen, and stuck if you select "not to migrate any account". I got passed this loop after so many looping, and decide I will migrate from a different disk for my account information. Then everything works. The initial 10.5.2 installation had a broken wireless. Nevertheless, continue to upgrade to 10.5.3, and the wireless will be fixed after the update.

In general, the process is not very difficult, just very tedious. I spent a day trying to figure out the chain0 dual booting, and realized that key point is to partition the disk with MBR, the GUID gives "chain0 booting error".

The only problem is the low graphic resolution throughout these installation. It gives me a 1024X7xx screen. Anyone having a good idea to resolve this?

• 1 month later...

My Install report for Kalyway 10.5.2 on Dell Inspiron 530, Core 2 Quad @ 2.40 Ghz, 2GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, bluetooth mouse / keyboard

Decided to use a clean hd for install. Added Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB in space adjacent to current xp drive, unlinking the Dell HD, to relink later and dual boot using F12 on Dell boot screen. Installation unsuccessful - "error unpacking". After using combinations of disk utility / windows formatting in various ways, used another HD for install: Samsung HD401LJ.

Formatted MacOS Extended Journaled with Disk utility and installed okay, but after restart screen was a mess.

Installed again this time selecting ATI Radeon 2600 drivers.

setup okay until "Do you already own a Mac?" loop. Tried disabling network card in bios and disconnecting LAN cable, not successful.

Searched this problem and installed again with using [-x -v "Graphics Mode"=640x480x32] at Darwin prompt to set a low res boot, but the high res kicked in on welcome sequence so "Do you already own a Mac?" loop returned.

Installed again without ATI drivers using [-x -v "Graphics Mode"=640x480x32] to set a low res boot, avoiding "Do you already own a Mac?" loop.

Installed ATI Radeon 2600 drivers from Kalyway disc.

Now all I need is sound and network :P

no updating for me yet. The network is proving a frustration at the moment as without sorting it out I can't get FCP to start. At this rate I'll have to spend 800 dollars on a machine with a lower spec than the one in front of me. :) I've got a Realtek PCI but no joy so far.

For network, you'll need a new card.

Check the hardware wiki for sound fix.

How did you guys go about the update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 and then 10.5.4?