Error loading booter X

17 posts in this topic

hello,

I have a triple boot so far (hoping for a quad boot) with xp, vista, ubuntu, and os x 10.5.2 kalyway (which is the one i want to get workign).

I have vista bootloader showing the XP, VISta and Ubuntu, and I would like to have ubuntu show OS X in grub.

I am using EasyBCD for the XP, Vista and Ubuntu, but I cant use OS X with EASyBCD so I am tryign the grub way.

I have tried some ways that people have said such as

title MacOSX

root (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader --force +1

and

title MacOSX

root (hd0,1)

chainloader +1

i changed the root to match mine. They give me an error saying "error loading booterX"

Anyone have this problem?

i'm a noob to linux, but how do I copy the pc_efi file to /boot?Nevermind. found out by typing this into terminal. "gksudo nautilus" this enabled the drag and drop just like windows.

EDIT:

allright maybe someone can help me out here.After I added the pc_efi file to /boot, I am now getting a " ERROR 17: CANNOT MOUNT PARTITION SELECTED"

allright maybe someone can help me out here.After I added the pc_efi file to /boot, I am now getting a " ERROR 17: CANNOT MOUNT PARTITION SELECTED"

Error 17 means grub can't read the partition in the root command.

Make sure your root(hd?,?) line matches the Linux entry in menu.lst NOT the OS X partition.

Grub cannot read hfs+ or ntfs.

If you can't figure it out, post your menu.lst

Holly {censored}!!!!!

IT LOADED! I am soooooo excited.

It took me 3 days searching high and low, until you came and helped me out WMARSH!

Thank you sooooooooo much! :):D :D :D :D

I had to enter the 80 before it booted and then had to select the osx partition.

I read in your other thread that I can change it around so that it automatically boots. I will try it and see. If i have any questions I know who to go to now.

question...

Can I skip the How Do I connect part and the Registration information or should I fill both of those out

Edit:

By the way, Sorry I didnt notice that the thread you pointed me towards was yours.

Holly {censored}!!!!!

IT LOADED! I am soooooo excited.

It took me 3 days searching high and low, until you came and helped me out WMARSH!

Thank you sooooooooo much! :):D :D :D :D

Amazing.

Lots of people make the same mistake.

How can I make my guide clearer?

Amazing.

Lots of people make the same mistake.

How can I make my guide clearer?

Ya I know, I dont know how I missed that part in your thread directly saying "(replace with same values grub uses for Linux partition, not ones for OSX partition)"

I must have skimmed through and just read (hd?,?) thinking (oh just put the OSX partition, because it was what I was trying to do (or follow from the ubuntu forums.

Maybe if you bold the thing it would catch others attention.

BTW, how come this site is now all in a different form? I have to click on a certain topic of this thread for it to show. It only shows the OP and then I have to click on a new post.

Also, the setup info, do I need to acutally put real info (is that okay?

Ya I know, I dont know how I missed that part in your thread directly saying "(replace with same values grub uses for Linux partition, not ones for OSX partition)"

I must have skimmed through and just read (hd?,?) thinking (oh just put the OSX partition, because it was what I was trying to do (or follow from the ubuntu forums.

Maybe if you bold the thing it would catch others attention.

BTW, how come this site is now all in a different form? I have to click on a certain topic of this thread for it to show. It only shows the OP and then I have to click on a new post.

Thanks, I added another line to the guide, but everyone does the same thing you did. Its logical, just doesn't work.

Site works the same for me. Maybe its a browser thing. I use Firefox 3.

By the way, you should add a link to your thread about Pc_efi into your signature.That would help people out if they come across this problem and see a post by you.

I'll ask it now, but how do I go about making the ext3 partiton in OSX?So i can do this.

Alternately, so you don't have to enter code during boot process, make a tiny ext3 partition on the OS X HDDcopy boot_v8 there in a directory /bootand replace (hd?,?) with the values of that partition

So i just make a new folder called /boot and then replace the hd?,? with the information of the OSX partition?also when you refer that i replace the hd?,? where do i do that at.Thank you again!

By the way, you should add a link to your thread about Pc_efi into your signature.That would help people out if they come across this problem and see a post by you.

I'll ask it now, but how do I go about making the ext3 partiton in OSX?So i can do this.

So i just make a new folder called /boot and then replace the hd?,? with the information of the OSX partition?also when you refer that i replace the hd?,? where do i do that at.Thank you again!

The only way I know to make an ext3 partition is using a Linux tool like Parted to partition and format unused space on the disk.

I don't think you can do it from OS X.

In SUSE you access the tool from YAST; I have not used Ubuntu, so I cannot help you there.

make your /boot directory on that partition and copy boot_v8 there.

Then your root line would point to this new partition (again NOT your OS X partition)

Grub numbers things funny (read man grub) starting with 0.

As an example root(hd1,2) would be the 3rd partition on the 2nd hard disk.

Make a 2nd OS X entry in menu.lst so you can still boot OS X while you are playing with it.

Ok, I must have doen something wrong again.

My new partition is 27MB and it is dev/sda9. It is an ext3 filesystem.

the location is called /media/disk

So what I did was copy the whole /boot file with the bootv8

so my grub edit lines look like this

Title Mac OS X

root (hd0,8) (I dont think I screwed this part up again)

kernel /media/disk/boot_v8

boot

That should work rigth? But I am getting an error 15 now.

hmmm

I changed kernel /media/disk/boot_v8

to

kernel /boot/_v8

and i still get those 2 prompts that pop up.

Boot_v8 will still give you the prompts (so you can boot off, say, your backup install on a usb drive) when it is installed properly.

If you don't get any grub errors, os x boots, and it will get there without you always having to enter a hex code, thats the best I've been able to do.

You can edit the com.apple.boot.plist to avoid the Darwin prompt. But I like to have a brief chance to boot -v in case I screw something up.