OverHeating Issues

Wayfarer247

3 posts in this topic

Okay, so I helped my bro install Kalyway 10.5.1 onto his computer. He is running an HP laptop similar to mine, but older. Installation went fine, we did not install the Vanilla kernel. After the opening movie, the computer almost immediately goes to sleep. Waking it up again, a few seconds later (no more than 3), it will go asleep again. During boot time, (verbose mode) it says stuff about CPU temperature being very hot. I believe this comes down to an energy problem/heating problem. OS X things the computer is over heating, and so it goes into sleep mode. Won't come out unless it is cold. Which, during the summer, won't happen.

So how can I fix this? We can't even get into OS X, but I installed Macdrive on Vista, so we can mess with and edit files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Any idea on what Kexts to remove?

First check if you have sse3 or sse2 only. Then choose proper kernel for your version (I think 10.5.2 is the most updated now)

For laptop the best option is sse2 or sse3 (depends what your CPU knows) with speedstep support. Don't forget that you need the System.kext coresponding to the kernel version you use if your kernel is not designed for 10.5.1.

So basicaly you have to replace /mach_kernel and /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext files