Still waiting for root device after 10.5.3

Alex HQuest

2 posts in this topic

Hey all.

Yesterday I've got some time to update my Kaly 10.5.1 (already updated to 10.5.2 with Kaly's update) to bleeding edge's 10.5.3, using Netkas update method.

I've took all relevant care to remove AppleIntelCPUPoweryadayada.kext (sorry, do not remind me correct name as am in front of my system), then edited /System/InstallAtStartup/something/1 (same excuse as before about path names) and replaced the "Do Not Steal Mac OS X.kext" with "dsmos.kext".

I've also moved away mach_kernel (saved as vanilla-9.3.0) and restored my custom sleep 9.2.0 kernel in place.

And yes, I saved my previous Extensions folder as requested, but as I did not knew which exact ones to restore, I recovered only AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleHDA.kext (the 2 suggested by netkas) and it looks like I missed my Intel SATA driver (i875 chipset from Abit IC7-G running a 478-pin Intel P4 3.6GHz -- older than a Pentium D but still an awesome machine).

Now when I boot Leopard, it got stuck in "Still waiting for root device".

Questions time:

- Besides using installation disk or USB install method to get a workable OS to move SATA/IDE kexts in place, is there anything else I should try to do to use same live install to recover it from death?

-Is there a way to know which kext's are different from standard Mac OS install disk, so in case this method will be reused, I have at least a list of all "custom" kext's I would need to restore?

Thanks.

• 8 months later...
Now when I boot Leopard, it got stuck in "Still waiting for root device".

After updating to 10.5.6 from 10.5.2, I got the same error. For me, exchanging /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext with the older one from 10.5.2 did the trick.

Perhaps worth a try?